#3 Terps Fall in OT at #19 Duke, 9-8

#3 Terps Fall in OT at #19 Duke, 9-8

#3 Terps Fall in OT at #19 Duke, 9-8

#3 Terps Fall in OT at #19 Duke, 9-8

DURHAM, N.C. - The No. 3 University of Maryland men's lacrosse team engaged in a back-and-forth battle at No. 19 Duke, but in the end it was the Blue Devils taking the victory, 9-8 in overtime, at Koskinen Stadium.

The Terps (2-1) drew first blood with just over three minutes into the game. Junior Joe Cummings scored unassisted with a stick-side high rocket from the left alley.

The lead was upped to 2-0 at the 10:31 mark when sophomore Landon Carr scored off of a nice feed from senior Grant Catalino. The Blue Devil defense used an early slide on Catalino, trying not to let the Terps' leading scorer get off a shot, but that left Carr wide open in the right alley.

The Blue Devils (2-2) made it all even at 2-2 with back-to-back unassisted goals by Jordan Wolf and David Lawson.

Maryland regained the lead with a man-up goal at the 2:49 mark, capitalizing on a slash by Duke's Luke Dupree. Senior Travis Reed made a great pass to Cummings on the crease and Cummings finished the play with ease.

Duke drew first blood at the start of the second to even things up at three goals apiece. Zach Howell scored on an unsettled situation at the 12:46 mark.

The Blue Devils took their first lead of the game on a Jake Tripucka goal with 7:08 left in the second, but the Terps knotted things back up at 4-4 with 2:48 remaining on an unassisted goal by John Haus.

The game appeared to be headed into halftime with the scored tied, but Tripucka struck again for the Blue Devils, giving them a 5-4 lead with just three seconds left in the half.

Duke extended its lead to 7-4 early in the third when Justin Turri and Wolf scored back-to-back goals.

Redshirt freshman Niko Amato kept the Terps within striking distance with eight saves in the third quarter. He finished the game with a career high 19 stops.

The Terps got back on the board early in the fourth thanks to an exceptional individual effort by Carr. He stripped his man in the Maryland defensive zone with a great check. Carr then picked up the groundball, outran two Blue Devils and scored on a bounce shot from 10 yards out to make cut the Blue Devil lead to 7-5 with 11:55 remaining.

Maryland's short sticks continued to be an offensive force as junior Michael Shakespeare scored an unassisted goal at the 11:07 mark to trim it to a one-goal deficit.

The midfield struck again less than three minutes later when Haus dodged down the left alley and beat Duke goalie Dan Wigrizer far side to tie the game at 7-7.

Maryland retook the lead with 3:48 to go on Haus' third goal of the game. He dodged down the right alley and beat Wigrizer low for the 8-7 Terrapin lead.

The Terps seemed to have the game won when Carr stripped the ball from a Blue Devil, but the officials ruled a hold on the play giving the ball back to Duke and Howell made it count tying the game with his second goal of the game with just three seconds left in the fourth, sending the game into overtime.

That set the stage for Wolf to score the game winner with 1:01 gone in the overtime period.

Maryland has a short turnaround with a game vs. Bellarmine on tap for Monday, March 7 at 3 p.m. at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium. Fans planning to attend Monday's game should read the parking information posted at the end of the page.

Game Notes:
 • With today's 9-8 loss Maryland is now 56-18 all-time vs. Duke. • Maryland is now 18-20-3 all-time in overtime games. • With two points on two goals, junior Joe Cummings now has 15 multi-point and nine multi-goal games for his career.
 • Sophomore John Haus tied his career high with three goals and now has two hat tricks, six multi-point games and four multi-goal games for his career.
 • Sophomore Landon Carr set a career high with two goals for his first career multi-point and multi-goal game. • Senior defender Brett Schmidt set a career best with six groundballs. • The Terps held Duke scoreless for 23:30 from 8:33 of the third quarter to 0:03 of the fourth, marking the third time this season that Maryland has held an opponent scoreless for 20 or more minutes.

Post A Comment To This Story >