Barrage Wrangle Outlaws, 13-12 OT

Barrage Wrangle Outlaws, 13-12 OT

Barrage Wrangle Outlaws, 13-12 OT

Barrage Wrangle Outlaws, 13-12 OT

With less than one minute dwindling in overtime, Roy Colsey strapped his team on his back, cocked back and fired a cannon shot that beat Trevor Tierney high, affording the Philadelphia Barrage a chance to defend their 2006 MLL Championship.

MLL PRESS RELEASE-Denver Outlaws v Philadelphia Barrage

ROCHESTER, N.Y. – Midfielder Roy Colsey scored the game-winning goal just 51 seconds into overtime to lead the defending MLL champion Philadelphia Barrage to a 13-12 come-from-behind victory over the Denver Outlaws in the semi-finals of NB ZIP MLL Championship Weekend at PAETEC Park on Saturday afternoon.

With the win, the Barrage advances to the NB ZIP MLL Championship Game on Sunday afternoon where they will face the Los Angeles Riptide, who defeated Rochester by a 15-14 margin in the other semi-final. The game will be broadcast at 1:00 p.m. live on ESPN2 HD.

Colsey, who was named as the Bud Light MVP, scored his fourth goal of the game with an unassisted marker to give Philadelphia its fifth straight postseason victory.

The Outlaws took a 2-1 lead in the first seven minutes of the game as rookie attackman Drew Westervelt scored a goal and added an assist. Led by a goal and an assist from midfielder Matt Striebel, the Barrage countered by scoring three straight goals to take a 4-2 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Striebel upped the Barrage lead to 5-2 with his second goal of the game off a feed from midfielder Justin Smith before the Outlaws scored six consecutive goals to take an 8-5 advantage. Attackman Brendan Mundorf scored the first two goals of the run and also added an assist.

Colsey started the second half with a two-point goal off an assist from attackman Michael Springer, narrowing the deficit to 8-7 before the Outlaws added back-to-back goals from Westervelt and midfielder Josh Sims, upping their advantage to 10-7.

Smith and Colsey scored goals just 52 seconds apart to narrow the Outlaw advantage to 10-9, but attackmen Matt Brown and Matt Hanna added to the Outlaws’ cushion to end the third quarter.

Trailing by 12-9 to start the fourth quarter, attackman Seth Goldberg tallied a goal off a feed from attackman Ryan Boyle to make the score 12-10. Just over five minutes later, Boyle converted a Goldberg assist past goalkeeper Trevor Tierney to cut the margin to 12-11 before midfielder Kevin Cassese took a Boyle pass and tied the game with 59 seconds remaining.

“It feels great,” Goldberg said. “We fought through and now, we need just one more win. I struggled but my teammates were supportive and we came together.”

Colsey led the Barrage with a game-high four goals, including a two-pointer, and also had an assist while Goldberg and Striebel each added two goals with an assist. Goalkeeper Brian Dougherty made 14 saves in the victory while allowing just eight goals. “There’s just something about this team,” he said. “There’s something to be said about coming together as a team and battling through.”

Mundorf and Brown each scored three goals with an assist to lead Denver in a losing effort.

Major League Lacrosse Semi-Finals: Philadelphia Barrage 13, Denver Outlaws 12 (OT)

Post A Comment To This Story >

(no subject)
    by (#107993) on 8/26/07 @2:43PM
why r the outlaws wearing reversibles
Reply to this

(no subject)
    by (#174206) on 8/26/07 @2:51PM
good question
Reply to this

answer from
    by (#174206) on 8/26/07 @2:54PM
Before the game even began, a bit of strange news was circulating around the stadium. Apparently, due to a luggage mix-up, Denvers uniforms had yet to arrive in Rochester. Instead of pushing the game back to 8:00 PM, after the Rochester and L.A. bout, league officials decided to press on, with Denver wearing their practice uniforms. The Outlaws almost seemed at home wearing the warmup gear, as if the jerseys played to their shoot-em-up, backyard, run-and-gun style.

Reply to this