Cornell Survives Hobart 8-7

Cornell Survives Hobart 8-7

Cornell Survives Hobart 8-7

Cornell Survives Hobart 8-7

ITHACA, N.Y. – The No. 6 Cornell men’s lacrosse team jumped out to an early 8-1 lead and then held off a second half surge by instate rival Hobart to defeat the Statesmen, 8-7, this afternoon on Schoellkopf Field. Hobart’s goalie Max Silberlicht made 16 saves, including at least five on shots taken from point-blank range, but it was Cornell’s Kyle Harer that made the biggest stop of the afternoon with a save in the closing seconds to preserve the victory.

With the win, the Big Red finishes the regular season with a 10-3 record, reaching the 10-win plateau for the fifth straight season. Also, thanks to Princeton’s 11-7 victory over Brown earlier today, Cornell earns the Ivy League automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

Eight different players scored for Cornell, with Chris Finn’s two points on one goal and one assist leading the offense. Rob Pannell, Ryan Hurley, John Glynn, Pierce Derkac, Jon Thomson and Roy Lang scored one goal each. The Big Red also got assists from Max Seibald and Austin Boykin.

In net, Jake Myers earned the win with one save in the opening 39:27, before Kyle Harer closed the game with five saves.

Hobart (7-7) was led by Jeff Colburn and Kevin Curtin with two goals apiece, while Tim Bigelow (one goal, one assist) and Chris Pedersen (two assists) also had two points.

Cornell held the edge in shots (37-30) and ground balls (27-30), but lost the face-off battle, winning just 8-of-18 restarts.

Both teams cleared the ball successfully 16-of-17 times and neither team scored a man-up goal, with Cornell going 0-for-3 and Hobart going 0-for-1. Hobart also turned the ball over 16 times, while the Big Red had just nine miscues.

Just under four minutes into the game, Romero got the Big Red on the board as he dodged past his defender and beat Silberlicht up high. It took Cornell just over five minutes before it struck again as Finn also bull-dodged past his defender and put the Big Red up, 2-0.

A stellar defensive effort led to Cornell’s next goal as the Big Red pushed the ball upfield in transition and the defensive midfield tandem of Boykin and Derkac teamed up to make it a 3-0 game at the 4:24 mark.

Nearly two minutes later, Seibald found Hurley cutting in front of the Hobart goal and the junior attacker one-timed the ball into the net, sending the home team into the first intermission with a 4-0 lead.

The Statesmen got on the board early in the second quarter when Curtin scored off a pass from Pedersen, but the Big Red responded with the next four goals to build an 8-1 lead with 2:33 to play in the opening half.

Lang opened the run, pushing the lead back to four goals when he streaked down the left side of the field and beat Silberlicht up high. Thomson made it a 6-1 game, before Pannell used a roll-back jump shot to get his only point of the day. The run ended as Glynn took a pass from Finn and buried a 15-yard shot.

Hobart’s six-goal comeback began innocently enough, as Colburn scored with one second remaining in the second quarter. From there the Statesmen defense shut-down the Big Red, holding the home team scoreless in a quarter for the first time since April 19, 2008 against Princeton.

The visitors trailed, 8-7, with 7:06 remaining in the game, but neither team scored again.

The Statesmen had two quality possessions in the final four minutes, but three impressive saves by Harer, along with a hit post, gave the victory to the Big Red.

Post A Comment To This Story >