Duke Edges Brown In Durham, 11-10

Duke Edges Brown In Durham, 11-10

Duke Edges Brown In Durham, 11-10

Duke Edges Brown In Durham, 11-10

DURHAM, N.C.-The Duke University men's lacrosse team scored three of the game's final four goals to edge No. 16 Brown in a midweek non-conference tilt this afternoon at Koskinen Stadium. Senior Sam Payton tallied the game-winner in a game that featured four ties and four lead changes in the second half.

Seniors Max Quinzani and Steve Schoeffel combined for six goals, while senior Ned Crotty handed out four assists. The hat trick for Quinzani is his 10th of the season and pushes his point-scoring streak to 56 games.

"Max figures out a way to get three goals," head coach John Danowski said. "You can almost put three goals in the scorebook every game for him. He comes up with timely goals and big plays."

Trailing 10-9 midway through the fourth quarter, Schoeffel and Payton came up with big goals just 10 seconds apart to lift Duke to the 11-10 victory. Posting his first hat trick of the 2010 season, Schoeffel evened the score at 10 apiece with and unassisted goal.

Payton came out and won the ensuing faceoff and raced down the middle of the field and ripped a shot past Brown goaltender Matt Chriss for what proved to be the game-winner. Payton also provided the game-winning goal against Georgetown last weekend after a faceoff.

The Duke defense held off the Bears in the final 6:41 of the game, getting crucial ground balls and clears when necessary. The win is the Blue Devils' fifth straight and pushed their record to 7-3 overall on the season. Brown falls to 3-3.

The first quarter was all Blue Devils as Duke opened up a 5-0 lead after 17:16 of play. Duke held Brown without a shot until 1:21 left in the first frame.

Schoeffel and junior Zach Howell anchored the Blue Devil offense, registering two markers apiece. Senior defenseman Parker McKee had the fifth goal in the game to give Duke the early 5-0 lead.

After nearly 19 minutes of scoreless lacrosse for Brown, Rob Schlesinger cued a four-goal run for the Bears with a tally at the 11:14 mark. Andrew Feinberg put a second goal in for Brown before Thomas Muldoon notched two tallies in a span of 1:23 to make it a 5-4 game in the final minutes of the first half.

With Brown seemingly carrying momentum into halftime, Quinzani stepped up with a timely goal with five seconds left on the clock to send the Blue Devils in front 6-4 at the break.

The second half was a back-and-forth affair. Brown opened the third stanza with three unanswered to garner its first lead of the game at 7-6 with 8:40 left in the quarter. The Bears continued to stifle Duke's offense for the next eight minutes, but it was Quinzani again who answered the call in the waning seconds. He collected a pass from Crotty on the right side and rifled a shot into the cage to tie the game 7-7 with four ticks on the clock in the quarter.

Senior Jon Livadas gave Duke an 8-7 lead 37 seconds into the final frame before Brown responded with two unanswered to regain a 9-8 advantage. Quinzani notched his third score of the game to make it 9-9 at the 9:03 mark. Muldoon came right back 34 seconds later with his fourth goal of the afternoon to shift the lead back in Brown's favor, 10-9. That proved to be the final lead for the Bears as Schoeffel and Payton came through in the end for the Blue Devils.

"Steve [Schoeffel] does so many things for us," Danowski said. "He runs the field. He can break down defenders, he can find the open man and sometimes he's too unselfish. I said to him after his second goal 'Today is the day for you to be selfish, for you to make plays.' Then he scores that third goal and then he clears for us. He's just so unselfish."

Duke dominated in all of the statistical categories. The Blue Devils held a 46-27 edge in shots, won the ground ball battle 34-22 and captured 18 of the 24 faceoffs. The Duke man-down defense was outstanding, holding the Bears extra man offense scoreless on three tires. Meanwhile, the Blue Devil man-up team was 3-of-6.

The Blue Devils hit the road for their next contest at No. 15 Harvard on April 2 at 7 p.m.

ned crotty
    by (#188555) on 3/31/10 @12:51AM
ned crotty plays attack. attack's reason is to score goal, but yet he doesnt. hes get assists, assists, and more assists. ned crotty makes those around him look amazing, and its paying off. most people think scoring goals gets you further or more $. But who is the only college lacrosse player on the USA lacrosse team, Ned Crotty. If i were to have one man stand beside me in the heat of lacrosse battle it would be Ned Crotty.

Agreed...
    by (#234733) on 3/31/10 @4:28AM
Yea the team without selfless attackman, won't put much many goals. If all they care is scoring, and fighting for the ball to shoot instead of finding the right man for the shot. Props to Crotty.... by the way, Brown's Maybach looks great.

by (#91657) on 3/31/10 @1:04PM
An offense's purpose is to score goals.

There should be an edit function
    by (#91657) on 3/31/10 @1:05PM
Why do you think assists and goals are each worth a point?

Assists
    by (#240371) on 4/02/10 @3:53AM
I do not dislike assists, but, goals can happen and are worth just as much without an assist. Assists do not exist without a goal.

yes and no
    by (#238058) on 4/04/10 @8:43PM
goals cant happen without assists

Really?
    by (#240371) on 4/09/10 @2:34PM
Are you serious? Not only is there such thing as an unassisted goal, even if the person caught the ball originally, what if someone gets a goal off of a groundball? Keep quiet while men are speaking.

Riddell?
    by (#240371) on 3/31/10 @11:39AM
I have to admit, the all brown Pro 7's are reasonably cool. Ugly, perhaps, but definitely different. With that being said, those few Brown brahs sporting the "brown" riddell helmets should drop out and start bagging groceries. Brown is an Ivy League school; these kids should be smart enough to understand they look atrocious. C'mon man!

browns helmets
    by (#238058) on 3/31/10 @1:10PM
riddells are really comfy and extra protective so some guys may like them more

by (#206721) on 4/01/10 @10:59AM
i hate my riddell...its probably the most uncomfortable helmet ive ever worn

It is true
    by (#219440) on 3/31/10 @1:54PM
Assists are good. Except when you only have 2 and lose to Notre Dame. Maybe he should have been selfish and scored some goals then.

Same goes for the loss against UNC.

Big players come to play in big games or even little ones (ND).

Crotty is a good player not doubt about it but the sad thing is when his career is over he will most likely leave without a championship or a Tewaaraton. That makes him good but not great.

Either way I am proud to have him representing us as in the U.S.

by (#238058) on 4/04/10 @8:41PM
Yeah crotty needs to go to the net more in games they are losing....he is the best player in the NCAA and needs to step up at times....although bitter may be better and i say that even though im a huge Duke fan

us as in U.S.
    by (#219440) on 4/01/10 @12:04PM
I am a real American, Fight for the rights of every man,
I am a real American, fight for what's right, fight for your life!

When it comes crashing down, and it hurts inside,
ya' gotta take a stand, it don't help to hide,
Well, you hurt my friends, and you hurt my pride,
I gotta be a man; I can't let it slide,
I am a real American, Fight for the rights of every man,
I am a real American, fight for what's right, fight for your life!

I feel strong about right and wrong,
And I don't take trouble for very long,
I got something deep inside of me, and courage is the thing that keeps us free,
I am a real American, Fight for the rights of every man,
I am a real American, fight for what's right, fight for your life!

Well you hurt my friends, and you hurt my pride,
I gotta be a man; I can't let it slide,
I am a real American, Fight for the rights of every man,
I am a real American, fight for what's right, fight for your life!
I am a real American, Fight for the rights of every man,
I am a real American, fight for what's right, fight for your life!

Stick check.....
    by (#78222) on 4/01/10 @1:01PM
pic 2.

Cappy what are you a ref now?
    by (#219440) on 4/01/10 @3:12PM
Stick to serving Kylor Berkman drinks and making Seagull fans proud.

Relaxx....
    by (#78222) on 4/01/10 @7:08PM
Deep bag comments have been a part of this forum for years....before you logged in under a phoney username...so lighten the F up

And......
    by (#78222) on 4/01/10 @7:09PM
I've reffed many a game.