Seibald Steals Cornell Victory Over Army, 9-8

Seibald Steals Cornell Victory Over Army, 9-8

Seibald Steals Cornell Victory Over Army, 9-8

Seibald Steals Cornell Victory Over Army, 9-8

Max Seibald's goal in the final minute of play sealed the victory for the Cornell Big Red over the Black Knights of Army, 9-8. Neither team enjoyed a lead of more than two goals in this back-and-forth contest, but after a contentious call gave possession back to Cornell, Seibald backdoored his man, catching a pass and putting this one away.


WEST POINT, N.Y. – The All-American duo of Max Seibald and John Glynn teamed up to score the game-winning goal as the Cornell University men’s lacrosse team defeated Army, 9-8, this evening in front of 897 fans at Michie Stadium. A nationwide ESPNU audience was treated to an exciting back-and-forth game that ended when Glynn found Seibald, who scored on a low, hard shot from 15 yards out with just 1:00 left in the contest.

Cornell (2-0) had four players register three points apiece, including Ryan Hurley with a game-high three goals. Glynn and Seibald both tallied two goals and one assist apiece, as Glynn became the 35th player in Big Red history to register 100 career points, while Rob Pannell scored once and added two assists. Kyle Doctor and Rocco Romero rounded out the scoring for the Big Red with one goal and one assist, respectively. In net, senior goalie Kyle Harer had his second consecutive game with 10 saves.  

Army (1-2) was led by the spectacular play of its goalie, sophomore Thomas Palesky, who made 22 saves to keep the Black Knights within striking distance all game long. Offensively, the trio of Jeremy Boltus, Brooks Korvin and Jason Peyer registered two goals apiece.  

The Big Red held the advantage in shots (55-38), shots on goal (31-18), and ground balls (31-24). Cornell also won 12-of-21 face-offs, thanks mostly to Glynn, who went 10-of-17, and scored on 1-of-4 man-up opportunities.     

In a game that featured seven lead changes and five ties, Cornell opened the contest with two narrow misses as it hit the post twice in the opening 2:15 of the contest. Army responded with a goal from Boltus, as he caught a pass from Devin Lynch on the doorstep and converted the easy tally to make it 1-0 at the 10:42 mark.  

The Big Red responded less than two minutes later as Hurley ripped a low shot past Palesky to knot the game, 1-1. Korvan returned the lead to the Black Knights when he pushed past his defender and bounced a shot into the right side of the goal, despite having his stick checked on the shot.  

Cornell had a chance to even the game with a one-minute man-up opportunity, but a turnover returned the ball to Army and Cornell ended the first quarter trailing, 2-1.  

Pannell converted early in the second quarter to tie the game at 2-2 when he rolled around the right side of the cage, stopped, spun back and ripped the ball past Palesky.  

The back-and-forth game continued as Peyer sent a rocket past Harer to put the home team up, 3-2, at the 12:25 mark, but Hurley answered right back when he beat his man and scored from point-blank range to tie the game at 3-3.  

A goal by Tyler Oates, from Alex Rhoads, put Army back on top, 4-3, but Cornell responded with three straight goals to take the slim, 6-4 lead into the intermission.  

The first goal during the run was the product of Cornell’s outstanding effort on the ride, as Palesky came out of his cage on a clear attempt, but was forced into an errant pass. Seibald picked up the ball near midfield and sent a long pass to Doctor, who turned and bounced the ball into the empty net. Glynn gave the Big Red its first back-to-back goals of the game when he took a pass from Pannell and beat Palesky from five-yards out. Seibald then sent the visitors into the locker room with the two-goal lead when he scored off a pass from Romero with 2:28 to play in the second quarter.  

The Big Red scored its fourth straight goal early in the third quarter as Hurley rolled around the back of the cage and streaked unabated to the goal, where he scored at point-blank range to make it a 7-4 Cornell lead at the 10:56 mark.  

Cornell won the ensuing face off, but a turnover in the Big Red offensive zone led to Army’s first goal in over 15 minutes of action as Peyer scored in transition off a pass from Boltus to make it a 7-5 game.  

  The Big Red enjoyed a one-minute man-up opportunity late in the third quarter, but Palesky made three tremendous saves to keep Cornell off the board and a goal by Korvin with 44 seconds remaining made it a one-goal game, 7-6, heading into the final stanza.  

Glynn registered his 100th point with Cornell’s first tally of the fourth quarter as he took a pass from Pannell and scored near-post on a nearly impossible angle for the Big Red’s only man-up goal of the game.  

Army got its first back-to-back goals at the most convenient time possible for the Black Knights as they knotted the game 8-8 off goals by Andrew Maisano and Boltus.  

The Black Knights won the restart and held the ball for over three minutes of action, but two spectacular saves by Harer, and an Army foul gave Cornell possession with 1:30 to go in the contest.  

Cornell streaked into the offensive end and used a time out to talk over the play, setting up Seibald and Glynn’s heroics.   

The Big Red is back in action next weekend as it travels to Virginia to take on the Cavaliers on Sunday, March 8 at Kloskner Stadium at 2:30 p.m.

Post A Comment To This Story >

(no subject)
    by (#209296) on 3/02/09 @5:47AM
wow 22 saves with .710
good job palesky
Reply to this

(no subject)
    by (#208939) on 3/02/09 @2:05PM
He definitely kept Army in the game. It should not have been this close so hats off to the keep from Plano, TX.
Reply to this

you said the goalie was sick...
    by (#138145) on 3/02/09 @6:49PM
Reply to this