final four preview uva vs du

final four preview uva vs du

final four preview uva vs du

Lax.com gets in-depth with this weekends semi-final match-ups. First up is the University of Virginia vs. Denver. Hear what Coach Tierney and Coach Starsia say about going to the semi-finals.

AY!
    by (#279809) on 5/23/11 @4:31PM
First!!!

by (#150575) on 5/23/11 @5:47PM
Go Denver

hoos
    by (#282652) on 5/23/11 @8:21PM
Go UVA!

Tierney
    by (#284945) on 5/23/11 @9:46PM
How much of Denver's success can be credited to Coach Tierney? He did such an incredible job with this team taking them from average to the final 4 in just a couple years. Does anyone think he could do this with a team like Mercer or Michigan or Marquette? obviously he would need a bit longer but could he get them to the final 4 in 4-5 years?

by (#145491) on 5/23/11 @10:41PM
I believe if he started with a clean slate at a school like Marquette, he would be able to pull in a solid recruiting base and have a decently successful program within a few years, maybe not exactly final four material. But I would say in a good 8-10 years, possibly.

Denver
    by (#223146) on 5/24/11 @10:16AM
GO DENVER, props to Coach Tierney for improving this school's lacrosse program.

by (#139861) on 5/26/11 @5:20PM
First off, glad to see that many of the weak-minded individuals who frequented the boards last season have either matured or moved elsewhere. No need to turn the forum into a place for inane insults and internet trolling. Let's keep it to talk of this great game.

So Memorial Day weekend is upon is and once again we are left with the final four teams.

I think it's a fairly plausible final four if you had told someone this preseason. UVa and Maryland certainly. Duke, yeah certainly, but I think people (myself included) thought there would be a much bigger drop off for them. Instead Coach Dano incorporates two freshmen with Zach Howell who has proven he can be the number one man.

Cuse would be a notable omission considering how great the Orange seniors have been, but I don't think Denver is a huge surprise. They've been a tourney dark horse for a while now, and with the Tierneys driving the ship it can go as far they take it.

Concerning the actual games, I've got to take my Cavs over the Pioneers though. This is a great Denver offense and not so great of a Virginia defense. DU definitely has the ability to score against zone or man-to-man. I think this game really comes down to who can score the last one/which goalie plays better. It's going to be a close game, but I take Starsia to get his first win over Tierney in the tourney.

I like Maryland over Duke in the other semi. The Terps are the most complete team in this tournament and will beat Duke by a few goals.