Boston Fells Baltimore For First Time Ever

Boston Fells Baltimore For First Time Ever

Boston Fells Baltimore For First Time Ever

Boston Fells Baltimore For First Time Ever

Baltimore, MD (July 12, 2003) The Boston Cannons (4-3) of Major League Lacrosse beat the Baltimore Bayhawks 5-2) 11-10 at Homewood Field, Baltimore, MD. Cannons rookie goaltender Chris Garrity made 22 saves and was named the game's Bud Light MVP. His biggest stop came with less than a minute to go in the game, pushing aside an open Gary Gait shot attempt.

"Chris played a fantastic game for us," said Scott Hiller, Cannons head coach. "He did everything we could have asked from him and more. This is one of the best shooting teams in the league, and for him to have a performance like that was a big lift."

Defenseman Ryan Curtis made the play of the game with 30 seconds left in the fourth quarter. Baltimore had possession and was on a power play, when Curtis picked a John Blatchley pass out of midair, allowing the Cannons to kill the clock.

The Cannons used another strong second half to put the Bayhawks away. Boston outscored the Bayhawks 6-5 over the final two quarters. Boston outscored Long Island in the second half of the last game (July 6) 11-6.

The win marks the first time in team history the Cannons beat the Bayhawks. Boston entered the game 0-5 lifetime against Baltimore in the regular season and 0-2 in the playoffs.

David Evans led the Cannons offensively with four goals and one assist for five total points. Conor Gill added a goal and two assists, while Mike Regan and Michael Watson notched two goals apiece.

"The weather conditions made it tough," said Evans. "But we got back to the things that helped us against Long Island (7/6) like moving the ball and looking for the open man. Eventually shots started falling."

Peter Inge had another solid game in the faceoff circle. Inge won 12 of 24 faceoffs, most coming against Paul Cantabene.

Mark Millon led the Bayhawks offensively with three goals and two assists. Gait chipped in with two goals of his own.

The game's start was delayed 30 minutes due to high winds and lightning. Faceoff, originally scheduled for 7:30PM took place at 8:00PM. After the delay the game action itself started slow. The two teams combined for just two goals (three points - one was a Jeff Sonke two-pointer) in the first quarter. Baltimore ended leading 2-1.

"The weather and the delay made it tough on both teams," said Hiller. "I think once everyone got into it, it turned into a great game."

The teams exchanged goals in the second quarter, ending the half with Baltimore leading 6-5. A Watson goal was disallowed at the end of the half; according to the officials he did not get the shot off before the buzzer.

With the win the Cannons improve their record to 4-3. The Cannons play next at Rochester on July 19 at 7:30PM. Coverage on the Boston Cannons Web Radio Network presented by New Balance begins at 7:15PM.

Post A Comment To This Story >

    by (#38056) on 7/13/03 @8:35PM
That was a great game by Chris only his 2nd game in the MLL but the 2 games the cannons played and won. First against Long Island now Baltimore the 2 best teams in the league. Nice job canons and good coaching Coach Hillier.
Reply to this