Washington College needs strong second half to top Dickinson 9-8

Washington College needs strong second half to top Dickinson 9-8

Washington College needs strong second half to top Dickinson 9-8

Washington College needs strong second half to top Dickinson 9-8

The Washington College Shoremen overcame a 5-2 halftime deficit and a very lackadasical first half to storm to life and hold off a late Dickinson surge. The 9-8 win propels WAC into the Championship game against Gettysburg for the 7th straight season. Dickinson's Chris Dodosn (1g, 3a) and Brian Mohler (3g, 1a) were the offensive forces for the Red Devils, while Washington's Casey O'Connor (3g) and Chris Read (3a) stepped up in the win. The player of the game, however, goes to Washington sophomore goalie Gordon Cohen and his 11 saves, 5 of which came back-to-back-to-back to end 5 straight Dickinson possessions in the 3rd quarter.

A sloppy and un-motivated first half by Washington College led way to the drama of the 2nd half. The Shoremen came to life in the third quarter riding the tide of sophomore goalie Gordon Cohen’s play. Cohen stopped five straight Dickinson possessions with a save. Dickinson wasn’t having trouble generating looks, but Cohen was there to bail WAC out. He opened the door for their 5 goal explosion in the quarter. Three of those came in an exciting spurt from the 1:49 mark to just :47 left in the quarter.

Dickinson fought back and regained the lead at 8-7 with 11:50 to play in the game, but Washington’s offense answered the call.

From Press Release - GETTYSBURG, PA -- Senior midfielder Anthony Hidell (Wilmington, DE/Tower Hill) scored the game-winning goal with 3:36 remaining in the fourth quarter to give 16th-ranked Washington College a 9-8 win over Dickinson College in a Centennial Conference men's lacrosse semifinal game at Gettysburg on Friday. The Shoremen (11-5) advance to face second-ranked and top-seeded Gettysburg in Sunday's championship game. The Bullets defeated Haverford, 12-11, in the first semifinal game of the day. Dickinson concludes its season at 9-6.

Washington scored first in the game as sophomore midfielder Casey O'Connor (Crownsville, MD/Archbishop Spalding) scored off a feed from junior attackman Chris Read (Baltimore, MD/Boys Latin) with 8:24 left in the first quarter. Ed Lawless tied the game for the Red Devils with a goal with 6:58 on the clock. Lawless then gave Dickinson a lead with an extra-man goal at 2:35.

Washington senior midfielder Andrew Ostrusky (Severna Park, MD/Severna Park/Bridgton, ME) opened the second quarter scoring with an extra-man goal off a pass from sophomore attackman Jimmy Kielek (Baltimore, MD/Archbishop Curley) with 14:45 on the clock. Brian Mohler then scored three straight goals off assists from Chris Dodson to push the Red Devils in front, 5-2. The first goal came at 13:48, the second on an extra-man opportunity at 13:17, and the third with 11:43 left in the second quarter. Neither team scored again before halftime as the Red Devils took a 5-2 lead into the break.

The Shoremen scored five unanswered goals to open the fourth quarter. Junior midfielder Steve Humphries (Fairfax, VA/Hayfield Secondary) brought the Shoremen back to within two goals when he scored at the 12:16 mark in the third quarter to trim the lead to 5-3. O'Connor scored his second goal of the game to make it 5-4 with 9:06 left in the third. Kielek tied the scored with an extra-man goal off an assist from Read at the 8:31 mark. Junior midfielder Kolyn Kirby (Chestertown, MD/Kent County) put Washington in front, 6-5, by scoring off a ground ball with 1:49 left in the third and O'Connor netted his third goal of the day 15 seconds later to give the Shoremen a 7-5 advantage. Dickinson broke the run when Drew Peace scored with 47 seconds left in the third to make it 7-6.

Dodson knotted the score at 7-7 when he scored for Dickinson off an assist from Peace with 13:17 to play in the fourth quarter. Peace then put the Red Devils back in front with a goal off an assist from Mohler with 11:50 left in the fourth. The Shoremen responded by evening the score again as Kirby scored off a feed from sophomore attackman Mike O'Hara (Export, PA/Franklin Regional/Bridgton, ME) to make it 8-8. Hidell's game-winner came off a feed from Read with 3:36 remaining. Washington survived several Dickinson shots and a Red Devil extra-man opportunity in the final minutes to hold on for the win.

O'Connor finished with three goals for Washington, while Kirby fired in two goals and Read tallied three assists. Mohler had three goals and one assist for Dickinson. Peace added two goals and one assist, while Dodson had a goal and three assists.

Sophomore goalie Gordon Cohen (New Canaan, CT/New Canaan) made 11 saves for the Shoremen, while Kevin Riley made 10 stops for Dickinson. Washington held a 38-34 advantage in shots in the game, including a 21-16 advantage in the second half. Dickinson won 12 of the game's 19 face-offs and had a 30-21 advantage in ground balls.

Sunday's championship game will begin at 1:00 p.m.

Post A Comment To This Story >

Kids love pizza
    by (#128125) on 5/07/07 @10:41AM
Note the Pizza Hut roof behind the score board...Did everyone meet there for $1 pitchers after the game?
Reply to this