Cornell Rolls Over Penn 13-5

Cornell Rolls Over Penn 13-5

Cornell Rolls Over Penn 13-5

Cornell Rolls Over Penn 13-5

PHILADELPHIA – The No. 6/8 Cornell men’s lacrosse team used a stifling defense to hold No. 19/20 Penn scoreless for the first 40:40 of the game and jumped out to an early 8-0 lead en rout to a 13-5 victory over the Quakers this afternoon at Franklin Field. The win, the Big Red’s first at Franklin Field since the 2002 season, improves Cornell to 7-1 overall and 2-0 in the Ivy League, while Penn falls to 4-3 overall and 2-1 in the conference.

Cornell goalie Jake Myers proved to be the difference in this game, finishing with a career-high 12 saves and allowing just two goals in the first 53:20 of action before giving way to Mat Martinez, who allowed three goals in he final 6:40 and did not register a save. For Penn, Chris Casey played the first 45:00 of the contest and made six saves and allowed 11 goals, before Greg Murray came on in relief and gave up two goals and made two saves.

Ryan Hurley had a hand in the Big Red’s first three goals before finishing with five goals and two assists for a team-high seven points. Chris Finn registered two goals and two assists for four points, while Max Seibald chipped in two goals and one assist for three points. John Espey, Rocco Romero, John Glynn and Christopher Ritchie were also multi-point scorers for the Big Red with one goal and one assist apiece. Glynn also registered a team-high seven ground balls.

Alex Weber led Penn with two goals, while Craig Andrzejewski tallied one goal and two assists for a team-high three points. Corey Winkoff finished with one goal and one assist

Cornell held the slim advantage in shots (38-35), shots on goal (21-17) and ground balls (19-15). The Big Red also won 11-of-20 face-offs, with Glynn going 9-of-14 on the afternoon.

The Big Red wasted little time setting the tone, getting on the board just nine seconds into the contest as Glynn won the opening face-off, streaked up-field and fed Hurley, who found the back of the net to make it 1-0 at the 14:51 mark.

Cornell beat an early penalty, thanks to a nice save by Myers and the teams traded possessions before Hurley took a pass Ritchie and converted to give the visitors a 2-0 advantage.

Glynn won the ensuing face-off and some quick passing resulted in a goal by Finn, off a pass from Hurley, to make it 3-0 with 9:01 remaining in the first period.

Just over four minutes later Ritchie pushed the lead to 4-0 when he picked up a rebound off a save from a Glynn shot and beat Casey down low.

A Penn cross-check gave the Big Red a one-minute man-up advantage, but a brilliant save by Casey helped the Quakers kill the penalty. Penn was unable to keep possession, however, and with time running down in the first quarter, Hurley caught a pass from Finn, spun and hit the back of the net with 15 seconds showing on the scoreboard to make it a 5-0 game.

Some good hustle and determination led the Big Red’s next goal as Tom Corbolotti forced a turnover on a Penn clear attempt. From there, Corbolotti passed to Espey, who hit Romero in stride as he streaked up the left side of the field and beat Casey up high to make it 6-0 at the 9:59 mark.

Just over four minutes later, Glynn scored off a pass from Seibald to give Cornell a 7-0 lead, which it would carry into halftime.

Cornell opened the second half of play in a man-down situation, but a save by Myers helped the Big Red kill it off, but it took until the 7:44 mark for the offense to reward its goalkeeper as Hurley fought through a hold by a Quaker defenseman and gave Cornell an 8-0 lead.

Weber finally got the Quakers on the board with 4:20 remaining in the third quarter when an unsettled situation left Weber unmarked and he managed to send a high shot into the upper left hand corner of the goal.

Penn made it two in a row after forcing a turnover on a Cornell clear and Andrzejewski beat Myers to make it 8-2 with 1:49 remaining in the quarter.

Back-to-back goals by the visitors just nine seconds apart pushed the Big Red lead back to eight goals. The first goal in the run came after a huge hit by George Calvert dislodged the ball from a Penn player. Calvert got the ball to Hurley, who sent a pass to Finn, who converted at the 1:24 mark. Glynn won the restart and sent a quick pass to Seibald, who streaked 10 yards, dodged past a defender and sent a low bounce shot past Casey to make it a 10-2 game.

Espey ended the scoring in the third quarter, finding the back of the net with just two seconds showing on the scoreboard to send the Big Red into the final stanza with an 11-2 advantage.

Seibald pushed the lead to double-digits early in the fourth quarter when he scored off a pass from Ritchie to make it a 12-2 game and just under two minutes later, Hurley tallied his fifth goal of the day, taking a pass from Finn and hitting the back of the net to push the lead to 13-2.

Penn received goals by Winkoff, Weber and Al Kohart late in the final six minutes of the game to account for the 13-5 final.

The Big Red remains on the road next weekend as it travels to Boston to take on Harvard at Gillette Stadium on Saturday, April 5 at noon. The game will be broadcast live on CN8 in Massachusetts as well as parts of New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Post A Comment To This Story >