|NCAA committee softens many rules changes, outright reneges on moto grip ban |
Monday, September 17, 2012 10:27:29 AM
In a surprisingly responsive move, the NCAA men's lacrosse rules committee balked from its aggressive proposals released in early August, scaling back many of the changes and rescinding two entirely. The group reconvened regarding the rules earlier this week after an outpouring of criticism rained down on them last month, including from organizations as prominent as U.S. Lacrosse.
The group reversed its decision on banning the motorcycle grip in faceoffs. It seems that the Faceoff Men Unite petition, which gathered over 1,000 signatures and the U.S. Lacrosse letter in opposition to the policy probably contributed to the decision.
Jon Hind, the chair of the infamous committee, told Lacrosse Magazine, "Many of our coaches voiced concern that removing this grip would basically eliminate some student-athletes from the game."
Another turnaround came in faceoffs, as the NCAA decided to keep the four-inch distance between players rather than widening the gap to twelve. U.S. Lacrosse had also come out against this measure, citing the danger of head injuries among players lunging for the ball.
In a final step back, Hind and his men softened the restriction on shooting strings, moving the boundary from the top of the crosse from three-and-a-half inches to four.
Regarding that change, Hind said, "The committee members had their teams string their sticks and found that three-and-a-half inches could cause some issues, especially with the enforcement of the standard. Adding a little more room achieves the goal without unduly penalizing some sticks."
For the most part, the committee left the other proposed changes regarding penalties, shot clocks, and the like untouched.
Given that the magazine said that PROP rarely annuls these proposals, it seems men's lax has survived after all. Let the celebrations begin.