Bucknell vs. Mount Saint Mary's
March 19, 2003
The Game Story:
LEWISBURG, Pa. Chris Cara and Dennis Geraghty scored four goals apiece to lead 19th-ranked Bucknell to a 16-4 rout of Mount St. Mary's in the Bison's home opener Wednesday at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium.

Bucknell (3-2) scored five extra-man goals and cruised to a 14-1 lead before emptying the bench. Mount St. Mary's (0-5) was led by Josh Warfield's two goals.

Bucknell raced to a 6-0 lead, with different goal scorers logging each of the first five tallies of the day. Just 2:29 into the contest, with the first of the game's 21 penalty flags giving Bucknell a quick EMO chance, Cara stuffed one in from close range. Mount goalie Dave Lambour was screened on Rob Lane's goal at 8:22, and then Geraghty had a hand in Bucknell's final two goals of the opening quarter. First he finished a Cara feed in close, then he dished to Wes Fetchet for a layup to complete a pretty passing sequence on a fastbreak.

Patrick Christensen and Fetchet scored 2:35 apart early in the second period to make it 6-0 before Warfield got Mount St. Mary's on the board with an unassisted marker at 9:39 of the second.

Christensen, Fetchet and Cara all tallied in the final 6:50 of the half, the latter two coming on extra-man chances, to give the Bison a 9-1 halftime lead.

Geraghty scored twice in just 23 seconds to open the second-half scoring, and by the time Cara potted his fourth of the day at the 6:36 mark the Bison had a commanding 14-1 edge. After assisting on two of Bucknell's earlier man-up goals, Bison freshman Kyle Morin scored his first career goal to complete the Herd's scoring midway through the fourth quarter.

Warfield, Billy Jautze and Timothy Flottemesh all scored for the Mountaineers in the final 15:53.

Cara added two assists for a six-point afternoon, while Andrew Copelan had a goal and two assists for the Bison. Fetchet had his first hat trick of the season.

While Bucknell's offense exploded for a season-high 16 goals, the defense was again stifling. The Bison have now allowed a paltry eight goals in their three victories this season, and just 35 in five games overall. Justin Sussman, the current Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week, played just the first three quarters in goal and made 10 saves, while allowing only two past him. Matt Baran made a pair of saves and allowed two goals in the final period.

Bucknell outshot Mount St. Mary's 37-30 and held a 42-32 ground ball edge. The Bison converted their first four extra-man chances and finished 5-for-10 on the day. The Mount was 0-for-8.

Now 8-0 all time against Mount St. Mary's, Bucknell returns to action this Saturday against Holy Cross in its Patriot League opener. Game time is 3:30 p.m. at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium.