Butler vs. Loyola
April 13, 2002
The Game Story:
INDIANAPOLIS, IN--Rich Pavlick capped a four-goal Butler run by collecting a rebound and shoving a shot past Loyola goalie Mark Bloomquist with 1:46 left, giving Butler a stunning 7-6 victory over fifth-ranked Loyola in a men's lacrosse game played at the Butler Bowl Saturday afternoon.

Butler (4-5), which earned its first-ever victory against a Top 10 team, trailed 6-3 with 12:46 left in the game after the Greyhounds' Michael Sullivan scored his game-high third goal. But Tim O'Shea scored an extra-man goal two minutes later to pull the Bulldogs within 6-4, and Pavlick scored less than a minute later to cut the lead to one. Butler then tied the game at six with 4:44 left when Adam Cichostepski found Kyle Tietjen in front.

Loyola (7-2) had possession for much of the last 1:30 but was unable to get a clean shot for much of that time on Butler goalie Brendan Winkler, who had 16 saves. Joey Case had the last Greyhound opportunity, but his shot from the left side was wide right and rolled over the end line as time expired.

The Greyhounds, who have now lost consecutive regular-season games for the first time since the 1996 season, led 4-2 at halftime after Sullivan scored on a one-on-one effort as the halftime buzzer sounded. Loyola then took a 5-2 lead 32 seconds into the third quarter as Jim Fink took advantage of a Butler penalty assessed on Sullivan's goal at the halftime horn to score an extra-man goal, but the Greyhounds had just one goal in the final 29:28.

Pavlick led Butler with three goals, while Cichostepski had two assists. The Bulldogs, who fell to Notre Dame last weekend and alo had losses to Providence and Quinnipiac, were playing just their second home game of the season.

Both teams struggled to maintain footing on the grass surface, which had been slowed even more by recent rains. Sullivan's unassisted goal 11:02 into the game tied the score at 1-1 in a slow-paced first quarter.

Greyhound goalie Mark Bloomquist had 17 saves on 35 Butler shots, but Butler's Winkler had several huge stops in the final 30 minutes. Loyola had seven extra-main opportunities but converted on just two of those.