Duke vs. North Carolina
March 20, 2004
The Game Story:
DURHAM, N.C. -- Lance Zimmerman's goal just over one minute into overtime lifted eighth-ranked North Carolina to a 10-9 victory over fifth-ranked Duke in ACC men's lacrosse action on Saturday afternoon at Koskinen Stadium on the Duke campus.

The Tar Heels improve to 5-1 overall and 1-0 in league play while the Blue Devils fall to 4-2 overall and 0-2 in ACC action. North Carolina has now won four straight over Duke, and the overtime victory snapped a streak of four straight extra session defeats for the Tar Heels. North Carolina also picks up one point in the annual battle for the Carlyle Cup -- an all-sports competition between the two schools. Duke, which won the Cup in two of the first three years, currently leads by a 10-8 count.

The back-and-forth contest featured nine ties and six lead changes, with Zimmerman's game-winning goal coming on an assist from Scott Falatach just 1:03 into the sudden death period. The Tar Heels gained possession off the face-off when specialist Kevin Frew secured the loose ball. Frew finished the day with 13 ground balls while winning 18-of-22 face-offs. After working the ball for a minute, Falatach fed inside to Zimmerman, who scored with a bouncing shot to the right of Duke goalie Aaron Fenton.

North Carolina jumped on top 1-0 with an unassisted goal by Andrew McElduff at the 11:28 mark of the first quarter. Duke knotted the game when Dan Flannery scored off of a pass from Peter Lamade. After the Tar Heels regained the lead on Ryan Blair's tally, the Blue Devils countered with two goals by Chris Haunss and Grant Byczek to claim a 3-2 advantage at the 5:51 mark. North Carolina then closed the quarter with two scores by Jed Prossner, the second coming with just 13 seconds remaining.

The second quarter featured just three goals, with Duke netting two to send the game into intermission tied at five goals apiece. Prossner then opened the scoring in the third quarter with an unassisted goal before Duke scores credited to Lamade and Haunss gave the Blue Devils a 7-6 lead heading into the final quarter.

North Carolina came from behind three times in the final period. After Johnny Seivold's goal tied the game at 7-7, Lamade put Duke back ahead at the 12:50 mark. North Carolina responded with Prossner scoring just 19 seconds later, and Lamade scored his third goal of the game with 9:37 remaining for a 9-8 Duke lead. The Tar Heels got the equalizer at the 8:05 mark on Andrew McElduff's second goal of the game.

Prossner led the way for North Carolina with four goals while Lamade had three goals and two assists for Duke.

In goal, Fenton surrendered all 10 Tar Heel goals while making 19 saves and securing eight ground balls. For North Carolina, Trey Sheain started and recorded one save in the first quarter before giving way to Paul Spellman, who registered 10 saves against six goals allowed in his 46 minutes of action.

Duke remains at home next Saturday to host Georgetown at 1 p.m. while the Tar Heels are next in action when they host Maryland on Saturday at 1 p.m. North Carolina's scheduled game with Cornell on Tuesday has been postponed.