Fairfield vs. Stony Brook
February 18, 2012
The Game Story:
The Fairfield University men's lacrosse team opened the 2012 campaign with a 13-10 home win over Stony Brook University on Alumni Field Saturday afternoon. Sam Snow paced the Stags in the victory with a career-high five goals.

The win marks the second consecutive season that the Stags have opened at 1-0 and the third time in four seasons under the direction of Andy Copelan.

The Stags won all seven face-offs contested in the third quarter of play, and outscored Stony Brook 5-1 in the period to erase a 6-5 halftime deficit and build a 10-7 lead. Drew Federico knotted the score at 6-6, 37 seconds into the period. The Seawolves were whistled for two penalties at the 14:08 mark, one an un-releasable 2:00 illegal body check, which gave Fairfield a two-man advantage.

Tristan Sperry struck for the go-ahead tally at 13:22 and Snow made the lead 8-6 with a goal at the 12:48 mark. John Snellman pushed the lead to three goals for the first time, 9-6, at 10:44. Stony Brook got its only tally of the period at the 4:19 mark, but Snow answered again less than a minute later, for the 10-7 edge.

Stony Brook opened the final period with a goal from Kyle Belton, to get within two at the 13:18 mark, 10-8. Adams pushed the lead back to three, with a goal at the 11:57 mark, and Snow scored a man-up tally at 10:04 to make it 12-8. Mike Rooney scored back-to-back goals for Stony Brook at 5:40 and 3:20, both man-up goals, to get the deficit back to two, 12-10. Snow put the game away with his fifth-goal of the game, into an empty net, with 1:34 to play.

Charlie Cipriano made seven of his nine saves in the second-half, to earn the win in net for Fairfield. He also had two ground balls. Sean Brady made 13 saves, seven in the third quarter, for Stony Brook.

Snow finished with a career-best five goals to lead all scorers. Adams and Snellman both touched net three times in the win, while Federico and Sperry each had a goal and an assist. Rooney scored three goals to lead the Stony Brook offense, and Robbie Campbell had two goals and two assists.

The Stags finished the game winning 19-26 at the face-off X on the afternoon, with newcomer Michael Roe going 16-22. Fairfield outshot Stony Brook 37-32 and had a 30-27 advantage in ground balls. The Stags cleared the ball 11-14 for the game and committed 14 turnovers, while Stony Brook was 14-18 clearing and committed 13 turnovers. Fairfield scored on 4-5 of its man-up chances, while Stony Brook was 3-6.

Stony Brook got the game going with a Robbie Campbell goal 2:12 into the game, which was answered 60 seconds later by Adams. The Seawolves scored the next two goals, at 10:08 and 9:13 to build a 3-1 advantage. Snellman scored a man-up goal with 4:52 to play in the quarter to get the Stags within a goal, but Jeff Tundo answered 1:05 later to take the Stony Brook edge back to 4-2. Snow single-handily erased the deficit with goals 44 seconds apart in the final minutes of the stanza. The two squads settled into a more defensive posture in the second-quarter, with Stony Brook netting a pair of goals, sandwiched around a Snellman score, to take a 6-5 edge into the locker room.

Fairfield returns to action on Saturday, February 25 when it hosts Bryant University on Alumni Field at 1 p.m.