Hobart vs. Ohio State
April 10, 2010
The Game Story:
GENEVA, N.Y.—The Hobart lacrosse team, playing without its leading scorer, fell to Ohio State 14-6 in an ECAC game on McCooey Field this afternoon. The Buckeyes scored the game’s first goal 45 seconds into the contest and never trailed to pick up just their third win over the Statesmen in 10 tries.

Ohio State (6-5, 2-2) was led by first-year attackman Jeff Tundo’s five assists. Senior midfielder James Green and senior attackman Mario Ventiquattro each netted three goals, while first-year attackman Logan Schuss produced two goals and an assist. Senior midfielder Andrew Stimmel collected a team-high five ground balls, while sophomore defenseman Joe Bonanni caused a game-high three turnovers.

Hobart (2-7, 0-4) missed attackman Kevin Curtin and his team-high 24 points. The senior is day-to-day with a leg injury. In his absence, 10 Statesmen recorded solitary points, primarily in unsettled situations. Sophomore midfielder Bobby Dattilo won 15 of 21 faceoffs and shared game-high honors in ground balls with junior long-stick midfielder Alex Caton (6 apiece).

The Buckeyes jumped out to a 2-0 lead on goals by a pair of long poles. Sophomore defenseman Keenan Ochwat scored his second goal of the season off a failed clear by Hobart. With 5:55 left in the first quarter, sophomore defenseman Brock Sorensen found the back of the net following a Statesmen turnover.

Sophomore attackman Sam Miller got Hobart on the board, finishing a feed from senior midfielder Mike Lazore with 53 seconds left in the opening frame, but OSU got the goal back with 7 seconds left (first-year midfielder Dominique Alexander from Tundo).

Green and sophomore attackman Mike Smail stretched Ohio State’s lead to 5-1 with back-to-back goals to start the second quarter. First-year defenseman Reid Rosello broke up the run with his first collegiate goal, assisted by Dattilo. The team’s traded goals over the next 7 minutes, with senior defensive midfielder Kurtis Gibbs and senior midfielder Tyler Cassell (on the man advantage) scoring for Hobart, to make it a 7-4 game with 3:26 left in the half.

The Buckeyes were able to carry a 9-4 lead into halftime thanks to goals by Green and Bonanni in the final 35 seconds.

In the third quarter, the Statesmen again closed to within three with 8:52 left, thanks to consecutive strikes by first-year midfielder Jake Silberlicht and Caton, but OSU scored the final five goals of the game, including a pair of man-up tallies by Ventiquattro, to seal the victory.

In goal, senior Brandon Freeman turned back nine of the 15 shots he faced to earn the win, while junior Ryan Keneally stopped the lone shot he faced in the final 76 seconds. Hobart senior Max Silberlicht made 15 saves at the other end of the field.

The Statesmen will be back in action on April 13, when they visit Canisius. The non-conference showdown is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.