Holy Cross vs. Bucknell
March 18, 2006
The Game Story:
WORCESTER, Mass. - Senior goalie Matt Fallon (Mount Kisco, N.Y.) made 15 saves but it was not enough as the Holy Cross men's lacrosse team fell to Bucknell, 4-3, in sudden-death overtime this afternoon at the Hart Turf Field. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 0-6 overall (0-1 Patriot League), while the Bison improve to 3-3 overall (1-1 Patriot League). Senior Billy Klotz (Derry, N.H.), senior John O'Sullivan (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) and sophomore Toby Banta (Melrose, Mass.) each scored a goal for the Crusaders.

Bucknell was led by Nick Marks who scored three goals including the game-winner in overtime.

The Bison got on the board first at just 1:29 into the game when Marks scored the only goal of the first period to give Bucknell the early 1-0 lead. Holy Cross tied the game at 1-1 when Banta scored his third goal of the season at 2:30 into the second period. The Bison regained the lead as Marks scored with 3:36 left in the period, but the Crusaders answered back to tie the game when O'Sullivan netted his third goal of the season with just 1:03 left in the half.

The game remained tied at 2-2 through the third period. Holy Cross took the lead at just 31 seconds into the fourth period with Klotz' team-leading sixth goal of the year. The Bison responded just 26 seconds later by tying the game at 3-3 with a goal from Joe Mele. Fallon kept Bucknell off the scoreboard by making seven saves in the period.

Bucknell earned the victory with 28 seconds left in overtime when marks netted his third goal of the game. Bucknell goalie Matt Baran stopped eight shots to earn the win.

The Bison outshot the Crusaders by a 23-21 margin, while Bucknell went 0-2 on extra-man opportunities and Holy Cross went 0-4. Holy Cross senior Rudy Anderson (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) won seven out of 11 face-offs for the Crusaders.

The Crusaders will return to action on Sunday, March 26, when they travel to Annapolis, Md., to face No. 4 Navy in a Patriot League match-up at noon.