Marist vs. Binghamton
March 13, 2010
The Game Story:
POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. The Marist men's lacrosse team dropped its first game of the 2010 season to the Binghamton Bearcats 15-9 on Saturday at Tenney Stadium at Leonidoff Field. The Red Foxes were led by three goals from Ryan Sharkey (West Field, N.J.). Corey Zindel (Randolph, N.J.) and Kyle Reny (Marblehead, Mass.) each added two goals in the losing effort.

Binghamton (2-4) controlled the action early, recording six goals in the first quarter while winning all nine face-offs. The Bearcats were led by Jeff Rurey's three first quarter goals. Rurey opened the scoring with 13:25 remaining in the first on an unassisted shot to give Binghamton a 1-0 lead.

After Matt Springer and Steve Carlson increased Binghamton's lead to 3-0, Zindel notched his first goal of the contest to get Marist on the board, 3-1. Zindel's goal marked the 100th point of his career. Rurey then scored two more goals to make it 5-1 at the 5:22 mark and closed the scoring in the first quarter with 53 seconds remaining to give Binghamton a 6-2 lead after the first quarter.

The Marist attack answered Binghamton in the second quarter with goals by Zindel, Bob von Hoffman (Montclair, N.J.) and Sharkey. After Rurey notched his fourth goal, Zindel's found the back of the net with his second goal of the contest at the 12:45 mark to cut the deficit to 7-3. Von Hoffman followed 17 seconds later with his fourth of the season to make it 7-4.

After Andy Cook increased Binghamton's lead to four, Sharkey responded with his second goal to bring the Red Foxes within three, 8-5, at halftime.

To start the second half, Binghamton re-established control by outscoring Marist 4-0 in the third quarter. Spring notched his second and third goals at 11:10 and 7:33 to put Binghamton up 10-5. Cook and Carlson followed with goals at 6:31 and 4:16 to give the Bearcats a 12-5 advantage entering the final quarter.

Carlson added his third goal of the game to open scoring in the final quarter and give the Bearcats a 13-5 lead. After winning the ensuing face-off, Springer fired in his fourth goal and Ryan Button added his first on the year to make it 15-5 and seven unanswered goals for the Bearcats.

Over the final five minutes, Marist recorded the final four goals of the contest. Sharkey added his third goal of the game on a behind-the-back shot to cut the deficit to 15-6. Reny and freshman Matt Dugan (Cortland, N.Y.) notched their first goals on the year to cut the Bearcats' lead to 15-8 with 1:56 remaining. Reny added another goal 52 seconds later to reach the final score of 15-9.

For the game, Binghamton outshot Marist 40-19 and grabbed 33 groundballs to the Red Foxes' 17. Each team recorded seven saves in net while the Red Foxes committed 16 turnovers to Binghamton's 22. The Bearcats won 24 of the 27 face-offs.

The Red Foxes return to action in Piscataway, N.J. at Rutgers for a 7:00 p.m. contest on Tuesday, March 16.