Navy vs. Stony Brook
March 23, 2002
The Game Story:
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - A goal 1:32 into the third overtime period by Navy junior midfielder Greg Conklin (Syracuse, N.Y.) gave the Mids an 11-10 victory over Stony Brook Saturday afternoon at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Md. While Navy improved to 4-2 on the season, Stony Brook evened its record at 3-3. It also marked the third game in which the Seawolves lost by one goal (UMass, 8-7; Hartford, 9-8).

"It's a quality win anytime you go into overtime and can endure," said Navy head coach Richie Meade. "Stony Brook has gotten better over the last few years. That team has a lot of seniors with a great deal of experience. I expected them to give us everything they had and they succeeded in that." Stony Brook took control of the game early on as it boasted a 4-0 lead after the first period. Kevin Pall and Stephen Conlon made their presence known as Pall scored two of his game-high five goals in the first period and Conlon scored a goal and added an assist in the first stanza.

Navy, held scoreless in the first period for the first time this year, finally got on the scoreboard at 6:55 in the second when sophomore Ben Bailey (Memphis, Tenn.) found the back of the net on an unassisted goal. Bailey's goal triggered a 4-0 scoring run for Navy to close out the half with the game knotted at four apiece.

The Mids picked up where they left off in the first half when senior captain Eddie McKinnon (Davidsonville, Md.) and Dan Eddy (Tully, N.Y.) produced back-to-back goals (11:39, 9:09), giving Navy its first lead of the day at 6-4. The final nine minutes of the third period found the two teams trading goals, including a spectacular goal by Conlon with one tick remaining on the clock to get the Seawolves to within a goal at 8-7 entering the fourth quarter. McKinnon, however, answered the Conlon goal in the fourth, stretching Navy's lead to 9-7 with 8:36 to go in regulation.

There's an old saying that great players rise to the occasion and that was exactly what Pall did for the Seawolves. The senior attack scored three-consecutive goals in four minutes to put Stony Brook up, 10-9, with 2:21 to go. Pall's last of the three goals was a beauty as Brian Abrams caught Pall streaking across the crease. Pall, heading away from the goal, flipped the ball over his shoulder past Navy keeper Jon Higdon (Edgewater, Md.) to score the goal.

After a series of failed possessions by both teams, Stony Brook had possession of the ball when a scrum occurred. Conklin was able to fling the ball up in the air where junior attack Eddy Holton (Northport, N.Y.) was able to scoop up the ball and head down field. Holton wrapped around the back of the goal and appeared to be headed towards the top of the box when he stopped and fired in a diving shot. With just two seconds remaining in the game, Holton's shot rippled the net and sent the game into overtime.

"Greg (Conklin) is magic with ground balls and he just threw it in a perfect spot," said Holton. "I was able to pick up the ball and head towards the goal. I tried going to the left, but when it wasn't there, I wrapped around the cage and was able to get a good shot."
R "I have to credit Eddy Holton for his hustle and composure," said McKinnon. "Had he not been able to pick up the ball, get down the field and score the goal, we wouldn't have had the chance to win this game."

A pair of four-minute overtimes ensued with neither team able to score. Navy junior Chris Dingman (Deferiet, N.Y.) came up with the most important face-off of the day to open the third OT. Dingman scooped up the ground ball and put the ball in play on the offense. Navy showed patience and aggressiveness, picking up all three ground balls in the possession. McKinnon handled the ball behind the cage, moving just to the left when he connected with Conklin who came streaking up the middle. Conklin quickly fired the shot past Stony Brook cage guarder Steve Armsworthy to give Navy the 11-10 decision.

It was Navy's second multiple-overtime contest of the season, as it lost to North Carolina in six overtimes March 2 - the longest game in Division I lacrosse history.

"We've been there before (overtime game), so we knew what to do," said McKinnon. Navy returns to action Tuesday when it plays host to Lehigh. Game time is slated for 4 p.m. at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium.