Penn State vs. Notre Dame
February 27, 2005
The Game Story:
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa., February 27, 2005 - The Penn State men's lacrosse team fell to No. 10 Notre Dame, 14-6, in front of 700 fans at Holuba Hall. Junior attackman Nate Whitaker (Great Falls, Va.) scored three goals for the second consecutive game to extend his scoring streak to 29 games.

Penn State netted the first goal of the game when midfielder Patrick Heim (Wayne, Pa.) scored an unassisted tally at the 12:30 mark. Irish attackman Jim Morrison responded with two straight goals just two minutes apart to give Notre Dame a 2-1 lead. Whitaker tied the game for the Lions when he tallied his first goal on an assist from Jesse Tarr. Notre Dame went back up by one goal when Morrison completed his hat trick in the first quarter on a goal from Matt Karweck. The Irish notched one more goal with 19 seconds left in the opening quarter to take a 4-2 lead.

The Nittany Lions opened the second quarter with Heim's second unassisted goal of the day. Notre Dame then rallied to score three straight goals from Karweck, Lucius Polk and Bill Liva to gain a 7-3 lead. Whitaker then found the back of the net for Penn State on an assist from sophomore Gil Pearsall (Carthage, N.Y.). Junior John Eremus (Rosemont, Pa.) then scored his first goal of the season on an extra-man opportunity to cut the Irish lead to 7-5. Notre Dame again scored a late period goal when Karweck notched his second goal of the day to give the Irish an 8-5 lead at halftime.

Notre Dame held the Lions to just one goal in the second half. Whitaker opened the third quarter with his third goal of the day on an assist from Eremus. Penn State would not score again as the Irish tallied six straight goals in the third and fourth quarters to clinch a 14-6 victory. Pat Walsh led the Irish in scoring with five points, four of which coming in the second half. Matt Karweck and Jim Morrison both finished with three goals each.

Senior goalkeeper Josh LaGrow (Skaneateles, N.Y.) finished with nine saves while freshman Chris Courteau (Buffalo, N.Y.) played the entire fourth quarter making two saves. Irish goalkeeper Stewart Crosland played all 60 minutes finishing with 18 saves.