Adelphi vs. Cortland State
March 2, 2002
The Game Story:
GARDEN CITY, N.Y. -- Junior David Toy (Perth, Australia/Hale) scored with two seconds left in the third overtime to give Adelphi a 7-6 victory over Cortland in the season opener for both teams. The game is the longest in school history for Cortland. The Red Dragons played triple overtime games versus Ithaca in both 1982 and 1993, but the deciding goals in both of those games came earlier in the third overtime.

The host Panthers, the top-ranked team in Division II and last year's NCAA champion, tied the game with 1:01 left in regulation on a goal by senior Ryan Clauss (Massapequa), set up by junior Tyler Heavenor (Victoria, Canada/Storm King).

Cortland, ranked 12th in Division III, took a 2-0 lead after one quarter on a pair of goals by sophomore Drew Hyatt (Jamesville/Jamesville-DeWitt). Adelphi took a 3-2 lead with three straight goals in the second quarter. Sophomore Jesse Sorenson (Baldwin/Long Island Lutheran) scored the first goal and assisted junior Terrence Campbell (Massapequa) and freshman Joe Droge (Port Jefferson Station/Comsewogue) on the other two. Cortland junior Chris Magrin (Fairport) tied the game at 3-3 with 2:46 left in the half.

The Red Dragons took a 5-3 lead with two goals less than a minute apart in the third quarter. Freshman Adam Hughes (North Syracuse/Cicero-North Syracuse) tallied at the nine-minute mark and junior Derek Elvin (Orchard Park) found the net with 8:08 left in the quarter. Adelphi closed to within 5-4 on a Campbell man-up goal with 13 seconds left in the quarter and tied the game when Sorenson set up Droge 2:24 into the fourth quarter. Cortland's final lead came with 9:41 left in regulation when Elvin scored off a Hughes assist. Elvin had a couple of good chances at the game-winning goal miss in the second overtime, with one attempt hitting the side of the net and another hitting the pipe.

Adelphi junior goalie Mark Miller (Norwalk, CT) made 17 saves, while Cortland junior netminder Steve Feltmann (Long Valley, NJ/West Morris Central) stopped 19 shots.