Presbyterian vs. Manhattan
March 17, 2009
The Game Story:
CLINTON, S.C. – The Presbyterian College men’s lacrosse team held a 4-2 halftime lead, but was unable to hold on, falling to Manhattan by a 10-6 score Tuesday afternoon at Old Bailey Stadium.

The Blue Hose fall to 0-7 on the season with the loss.

Leading the way for PC was Sean Mulford, who netted two of the squad’s six scores. Andrew Athens and Devin Pinkston each had a goal while dishing out an assist. Patrick Foy and Casey Minick notched a goal apiece and Ben Ewing had an assist in the contest.

Defensively, Tanner Gard forced four turnovers while Drew Tobias caused three. Playing the entire game in goal, Jon Athens amassed 21 saves to go along with a team-best six ground balls. Gard and Dave Hahn each scooped up four ground balls.

The Jaspers opened the scoring with a quick tally 1:08 into the match. However, Patrick Foy answered the bell at the 11:47 mark of the first quarter, tying the score at 1-1.

After forcing Manhattan into a missed shot, PC scooped up the ground ball and made a terrific move to clear the ball from its defensive third of the field. Once in the offensive portion of the field, Andrew Athens’ score gave the home team a one-goal advantage off a pass from Pinkston.

Each team struggled to score over the next few minutes. Both teams had opportunities, but neither could find the back of the net. After a failed clear attempt by the Blue Hose, Mike Llewellyn was able to score the tying goal with just 52 seconds to play in the quarter.

Things did not start well for the Blue Hose to open the second quarter, failing to clear the ball from their defensive side of the field. However, Jon Athens was up to the challenge, stuffing Justin Jensen’s shot attempt. Manhattan continued applying pressure and nearly scored at the 9:43 mark, but Brett Miranda’s shot hit the post.

The stingy PC defense forced Angelo Marrano into a turnover with 4:30 to play in the half. After gaining possession, the Blue Hose called a timeout with 3:47 to play. Head coach Jason Childs’ play worked to perfection as Mulford netted to go-ahead goal just 18 seconds later.

PC lost the face-off, but Jon Athens was able to stop Erich Smith’s shot attempt, keeping the home team up one with 3:05 remaining. After the teams traded possessions the next couple of minutes, Mulford gave the squad a two-goal lead heading into halftime with his tally with 37 seconds remaining in the half.

The Jaspers wasted little time tying the contest in the second half. The visitors scored two goals the first 1:46 of the third quarter, knotting the score. In fact, Manhattan totaled the first four scores of the second half, taking a 6-4 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

However, PC pulled within one just 10 seconds into the last stanza. After Ewing won the face-off, he flipped the ball to Minick, who beat the Manhattan keeper, making the score 6-5.

The goal proved to be the closest the Blue Hose would come as the visitors tallied the next four goals, with the last coming at the 3:55 mark.

PC tacked on a goal with 12 seconds to play as Andrew Athens found Pinkston after a good clear. Pinkston found the back of the net and making the final score 10-6.

The Blue Hose return to action Saturday at 1 p.m., when they face Bellarmine at Old Bailey Stadium.