Denison vs. Wooster
March 28, 2009
The Game Story:
Wooster's potential game-tying shot as time expired sailed wide to the left and the 17th ranked Denison Big Red came away with a hard-fought 8-7 win over the Fighting Scots on Saturday from Deeds Field-Piper Stadium.

Denison took a 5-3 lead into the third quarter of play but the Scots, who had been patient all game long on offense, started to heat up. Just 13 seconds into the period Denison's Brady Burton (Dublin, Ohio/Jerome) scored his first goal of the day off an assist from Nate Hall (Columbus, Ohio/Upper Arlington) to give Denison their biggest lead at 6-3.

Wooster would counter with back-to-back goals by Joe Sulliman and Mark Weschler to get back to within one at 6-5. On the ensuing face-off, Denison's Connor Detjen (Winnteka, Ill./Loyola Academy) and Wooster's Matt Pullara failed to gain a clean possession after the whistle. The ball went bouncing down the field toward the Wooster goal as players from both teams tried to scoop up the ground ball. As Wooster's goalie Corey McGann came out of the crease to help retrieve possession, Denison's Emmett Jones (Colorado Springs, Colo./Air Academy) got just enough of his stick on the ball to re-direct it into the unmanned goal. It was Jones' third goal of the game and it gave DU a 7-5 lead with 8:30 to play.

Another four minutes would tick off the clock until Burton would hook up with first-year Alex Hardt for his fifth goal of the season. Just 26 seconds later Wooster's Mark Weschler would answer to get the Fighting Scots back to within two at 8-6.

A slashing penalty on Detjen would award Wooster with possession and their second extra-man opportunity of the afternoon and with 3:24 remaining, Pat Coyne would cash in with his second goal of the day off an assist by Tim Lee. Wooster took the ensuing face-off but after a turnover Denison would control the ball and managed to run over two minutes off the clock. When the Scots did regain possession there was roughly 30 seconds to play. Wooster called a time out and set up a play resulting in Pullara's buzzer-beater that went wide-left.

Denison outshot Wooster 31-22 but McGann's play in goal was the story of the game. The freshman recorded 17 saves in the cage and was outstanding in the third quarter, holding DU to just one goal while notching five saves.

Denison first-year goalie Gregg Shannon (Lindenhurst, N.Y./Saint Anthony's) finished with seven saves. Jones was the offensive star for the Big Red as he finished with three goals off five shots. He leads the team with 18 goals through six games. The remaining five goals were scored by five different players. Detjen was 11-for-17 in face-off's and The Big Red committed just two penalties for 1:30. Wooster was 1-for-2 in extra-man situations while the Big Red was 0-for-1.

The ground ball battle was led by Denison 35-24 as Detjen, Ted Gulyas (Medina, Ohio/Medina) and Cy Ryan (Palm Beach, Fla./Westminster School) all had four apiece. Wooster face-off man Mat Pullara had nine for the Scots.