Franklin And Marshall vs. Muhlenberg
March 19, 2011
The Game Story:
LANCASTER, Pa. -- For the third time in as many seasons, 60 minutes was not sufficient for Muhlenberg and Franklin & Marshall to settle things. A Jimmy Wenk blast ensured that for the second time in as many seasons, the Diplomats came out on top.

Wenk fired a 20-foot blast that slipped through the netting in the upper right corner with 1:30 remaining in the second overtime period. The Diplomats celebrated while the officials conferred and checked the net. They confirmed that Wenk's second of the day had secured the Centennial Conference (CC) opener and bumped F&M to 5-1 (1-0 CC) for the first time since 2005. Muhlenberg fell to 2-4 (0-1 CC).

The fifth win in six games matches the Diplomats total wins from a season ago. It marked the third-straight season that the teams went to overtime. The previous two meetings each went into triple overtime.

Wenk's shot ended an otherwise spectacular day for Muhlenberg keeper, Mike Horowitz. He had 17 saves, including a pair in overtime. His counterpart, Cameron Setian stopped 14. He also saved two in the extra time.

The game was as close statistically as it was on the scoreboard. The Diplomats got 36 shots off against the Mules' 34. F&M owned a 31-28 edge in ground balls, a 9-7 lead in faceoffs and turned the ball over 14 times to the Mules' 17. Both teams carried 26 clears and F&M had the only failure of the day.

F&M owned the largest lead of the day, 5-3, late in the third quarter. A.J. Reichart rushed the offensive zone on an unsettled situation. He juked a defender to the ground and took a run at the net from the right side, drawing a defender. He sent a pass up high to Tim Gaines who buried it on the right side of the net for the two-goal edge.

The Mules got it back to one 70 seconds later when Jack Reilly rolled out from behind the net and beat Setian low. Brent Siebold scored in a similar fashion with 2:39 in regulation to force overtime.

F&M returns to action on Wednesday at Ursinus.