Nichols vs. Western Connecticut
March 21, 2004
The Game Story:
Junior Jason Newton's (Northboro, MA) four goals and an assist led the Bison of Nichols College in a thrilling, 9-8, win over Western Connecticut State University Sunday afternoon.

Western fell behind early courtesy of the first of Newton's four goals, just five minutes into the game. The Western scoring attack continued right where it left off, with freshman Justin Monroe (Norwalk, CT) scoring two first quarter goals. Monroe scored four goals in the Colonials opener. Monroe's second goal gave the Colonials a brief, 2-1 lead.

Newton answered Monroe's goal, tying the game at two, with 6:42 left in the first quarter. Joe Neary (Naugatuck, CT) connected early in the second stanza giving the Colonials the lead, 3-2. That lead would not last long, as Nichols' Mark Buckley (Weymouth, MA) tied the game at three apiece, scoring at the 12:57 mark.

With 9:44 left before intermission, Nichols' Adam Bailey (Kittery, ME) stole the ball from Western's Monroe deep inside his own territory. Bailey then raced the length of the field and hit Tim Clark (Woburn, MA), who was sprinting down the middle of the field, for the goal. Bailey also assisted on Buckely's goal that tied the game at three. Clarks' goal gave the Bison of Nichols College the lead, 4-3, going into intermission

C.J Ferris (Danbury, CT) scored for Western at the 14:11 mark tying the game at four, in this back-and-fourth battle. Ferris, a graduate of Danbury High School, scored the first ever goal for the Colonials in their opening win over Mt. Saint Vincent College.

The Bison quickly answered with goal from Adam Bailey, who had assisted on the previous two goals, giving the Bison the lead, 5-4. Nick Iodice (Newton, CT) was able to bounce a ball through several defenders and past Bison goalie, Stephen Costello (Smithtown, CT), tying the game at five with 7:07 left in the third quarter. Mario Carvajal (Norwalk, CT) scored with just over a minute remaining in the quarter, giving the Colonials a one goal lead going into the final stanza, 6-5. The goals were Western's first back-to-back goals of the game. The final stanza belonged to Jason Newton and Keith Blum (W. Hartford, CT) of Nichols College. Newton opened the stanza with the third of his four goals, tying the game at six. The Colonials would again answer, this time with Ferris' second goal of the game with 10:37 left in the game. The goal gave the Colonials a, 7-6 lead. Nursing a one-goal lead, Western goalie Peter Davidson (Bronx, NY), came up big saving six shots in a five-minute span following Ferris' goal.

Senior Keith Blum broke up Davidson's impressive streak, scoring at the 4:25 mark. The goal again tied the game, this time at seven all. There were seven ties in the game. Western had held Blum in check up to this point. Blum finished his junior year in the top ten in goals in the Commonwealth Coast Conference, averaging 2.15 goals per game. Blum, a sports management major, was also named to the All Conference Academic team last season. Newton and Blum each scored again in the final four minutes, giving the Bison a, 9-7, lead. Western's Iodice kept the game interesting, scoring with just 7 seconds left, pulling the Colonials within one, 9-8. However, the Colonials were unable to control the ball off the face off and the game clock struck zero. Newton averaged 2.08 goals per game as a sophomore last season. Newton was the 11th best goal scorer in the Commonwealth Coast Conference a year ago.

The Colonials, in their inaugural season, fall to 1-1 on the early campaign. Nichols improves to 1-1 after an opening loss to Wheaton College, 17-3. The Colonials next home game will be this Tuesday, March 23 versus Castleton State at 7 p.m.