Husson vs. Mount St Mary
March 17, 2012
The Game Story:
Bangor, ME - The Husson University men's lacrosse team lost a tightly contested battle with the visiting Knights of Mount Saint Mary College by a final score of 12-8 on a beautiful 50 degree St. Patrick's Day at Boucher Field. With the loss, the Eagles fall to 3-3 while the Knights improve to 4-2 on the season.

Husson was led by senior attackman Ben Landry (Lewiston, ME) who scored four goals on the day for the Eagles. Sophomore Ben Potter (Chula Vista, CA) added three points on a goal and two assist, while Wayne Stubbs (Keene, NH) potted a pair and midfielder Alex Ryan (Northfield, NH) added two helpers. Defensively, Mark Nardelli (Norwood, MA) turned in another solid performance leading the team in both caused turnovers (4) and ground balls (6). John Hooper III (Wakefield, RI) came off the bench to add six saves despite earning the loss on the day.

The home team finished the game with the advantage in nearly every statistical category except the score. The Eagles out-shot the visitors 37-27 on the day putting 23 of those on the cage. Husson was also the better team on the ground, scooping up 49 ground balls to 31 by the Knights. The Eagles won 14-24 faceoffs while taking advantage of a number of Mount Saint Mary infractions on the draws. Husson was 50% with the man advantage, scoring three goals on six tries, a percentage that was matched by the Knights who were 1-2 while man-up. Both teams were about even on the clears as Husson cleared 18-22 chances for 82% while Mount Saint Mary was 21-28 (75%).

The Knights were led by first year midfielder Jake Robison (Franklin Square, NY) who had five points on a hat-trick and two assists. C.J. Cardo (Merrick, NY) finished with two goals and as many assists for four points, while Matt O'Donnell (Wallkill, NY) turned in a three goal performance as well from the attack position. Goalie Shawn Cobstill (Oneonta, NY) started the game and after coming off at half time reentered later, turning in a total of nine saves while allowing five goals to earn the win.

Mount Saint Mary College jumped on the board just 47 seconds into the game when Cardo found O'Donnell to give the Knights the early lead. They enjoyed the advantage for a total of 17 seconds before Landry evened the score with an unassisted tally. It was at that point that everyone in attendance knew that it was going to be a dog fight.

The Knights got the next one a little less than five minutes later when Cardo found Logan Lollami (Cornwall, NY) on the door step to get back on top. Mount Saint Mary took a two goal advantage three minutes later when Cardo put one in the net off a Robison assist. The Eagles clawed back to within one when Potter scored on an assist by Brown, and it was 3-2 in favor of the visitors at the end of the first quarter.

Mount Saint Mary went on a run to start the second that started with a man-up tally from Cardo off an Andrew Pullen (Farmingdale, NY) assist with 13:38 left in the quarter. O'Donnell added back to back goals just 43 seconds apart, the first assisted by Patrick Byrne (Milford, CT) and the second from Robison, giving the Knights 6-2 advantage with 12:11 remaining in the first half. The Eagles would end the half on a high note as Landry converted an extra man opportunity with 6:43 to go on an assist by Potter, and Husson went into half time down 6-3.

The Eagles scored the lone tally in the third when long stick midfielder Mike Craig (Kennebunk, ME) found himself in the offensive zone on a fast break, and received a pass from Landry at the point. Craig ripped a shot that beat the keeper and found the net, cutting the deficit to just two at the end of the quarter.

On the opening faceoff of the fourth quarter midfielder Stephen White (Schenectady, NY) was called for illegal procedure, much to the dismay of the Knights' coaching staff. That caused the referee to throw another flag and even his hat on the play. When the dust settled, White was given a one minute locked in penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, and the Mount Saint Mary bench was called for a thirty second unsportsmanlike conduct penalty along with a matching one minute locked in call. After all the penalties were sorted out, Husson was granted a two man advantage for a guaranteed minute.

The Husson offense converted twice on the opportunity, both goals coming from the stick of Landry. The first was assisted by Ryan and the second from Brown. Landry's second of the stretch tied the game at 6-6 with 13:59 to play. Less than a minute later the Eagles took the lead for the first time in the game, when Ryan found Stubbs on the crease for an open look that the senior attackman converted, and it was 7-6 in favor of Husson with 13:10 left to play.

Mount Saint Mary answered rather quickly when Robison evened the game with an unassisted goal at 12:26. A few minutes later Robison gave the Knights the advantage off a David Hobbs (Baldwin, NY) assist, giving them the 8-7 lead with 9:05 remaining

Husson evened the score with 7:24 to go intercepted a pass from his teammate Chris Pelletier (Rome, ME) that was intended for someone else on the play. That fooled the Knight's keeper and Stubbs put the ball into the wide open net to tie the game at 8.

Both teams settled in defensively for the next few minutes, but it was Mount Saint Mary who finally broke free when Robison again found the net without an assist with just 4:24 left to play. Now that the Eagles were down by one and with time running out, Husson committed to double-teaming the ball and playing defense with the goalie. The Knights were able to avoid the pressure and added three ore goals before time expired. The Mount Saint Mary scores came from Hobbs, Nick Findlay (Elmont, NY) and Dave Morris (Floral Park, NY). When the final horn blew, the Knights walked away with a 12-8 victory.

The Eagles will have to rebound from the difficult defeat quickly as they turn around a host the Cadets of Norwich University at 12:00 pm on Sunday. Mount Saint Mary will play again on Wednesday, March 21st at 6:00 pm at SUNYIT.