UVA Hammers Villanova 18-6

UVA Hammers Villanova 18-6

UVA Hammers Villanova 18-6

UVA Hammers Villanova 18-6

CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA—Brian Carroll scored a career-high five goals and Danny Glading added four to power Virginia past Villanova 18-6 in the first round of the NCAA Championship this afternoon at Klöckner Stadium.

With the win, the Cavaliers improve to 14-2 overall this season and will meet Johns Hopkins in the quarterfinals next Sunday (May 17) in Annapolis, Md.

Villanova, the Colonial Athletic Association champions, was making its first NCAA Championships appearance. The Wildcats end their season with an 11-6 overall record.

Chad Gaudet won 12 of 15 faceoffs in the first half as the Cavaliers dominated possession throughout the first two quarters. For the game Virginia won 17 of 27 faceoffs, including 16 of 21 in the first three quarters. The Virginia defense was outstanding as well and did not give up a goal for more than 51 minutes of play; the Cavaliers scored the first 18 goals of the game.

“(Faceoffs were) the key, said Virginia head coach Dom Starsia. “That was pivotal. They’ve been pretty good facing off and against a team that came in here intending to play at a little bit more deliberate pace if they were going to have their way, it was important that we get the ball early and control the ball and keep the pressure on them. As soon as they fell behind by three, four, five goals, it’s so much harder to play slower ... that was paramount.”

The Cavaliers started slowly and missed their first three shots of the game before catching fire five minutes into the contest. John Haldy notched his first goal in four games by scoring off a Virginia miss at the 10:39 mark. Haldy’s score started the Cavaliers on a scoring spree that saw them score on seven of eight shots over a five and a half minute span.

Glading tallied the next two goals for Virginia and assisted on the next two, as Virginia’s lead quickly grew to 5-0 midway through the first quarter. Steele Stanwick benefited from Glading’s first assist and Rhamel Bratton the second.

Carroll scored his first of the game from 12 yards out and added his second on an extra-man opportunity late in the quarter. Shamel Bratton sandwiched his only goal of the game between Carroll’s two strikes. Haldy ended the first quarter scoring with his second of the period as Virginia held a 9-0 lead after 15 minutes of action.

Carroll tied his career high of three goals early in the second period to push Virginia’s lead to double digits at 10-0.

After taking just three shots in the first quarter, the visiting Wildcats didn’t have their first sustained offensive possession until after Carroll opened the second quarter scoring. They maintained possession for nearly two minutes before losing the ball on a turnover without attempting a shot. For the game Villanova took 27 shots, including 15 in the final quarter.

Stanwick scored twice and Garrett Billings and Haldy once as Virginia took a 15-0 lead to the locker room at halftime. The Cavaliers needed just 31 shots to score the 15 goals and committed just six turnovers in the half.

Adam Ghitelman started in goal for the Cavaliers and made four saves before being replaced by Mark Wade early in the third quarter; Wade finished with a career-high five saves.

Glading opened the second half scoring by taking a nice feed from Gaudet who won the opening faceoff and finding the back of the next for his first goal since the first quarter. Carroll tallied his fifth just over two minutes later. Glading then ended the quarter with his fourth goal of the game with 7.9 seconds remaining. His goal ended up being Virginia’s last as the Cavaliers packed in 18 goals in just over 40 minutes of play.

With Virginia substituting its entire line-up in the fourth quarter, the Wildcats were able to get on the scoreboard. Tim Driscoll, the team’s leading scorer, scored the Wildcats’ first goal with 8:45 left to play and scored another just over a minute later. Matthew Fritts, the team’s second-leading scorer, scored his only goal of the game midway through the final period. Tim Langan, Jr., scored back-to-back goals for Villanova, while Michael Arvan closed the scoring with his second goal of the year.

Virginia thoroughly controlled play in the first 45 minutes, outshooting Villanova 38-12, winning 16 of 21 faceoffs and gathering 40 ground balls to the Wildcats’ 20 in the first three quarters.

“Clearly we were able to defend them early, we were on our toes defensively and it just seemed like we could get a good shot every time that we worked for it and exercised a little patience at the offensive end,” said Starsia. “And it seemed like that was what we were in the mood for most of the day. I don’t think we took three or four bad shots the entire day and we made pretty good shots against a pretty good goalie.”

Uniforms
    by (#210743) on 5/10/09 @8:43PM
UVA new uniforms look cool

With Or Without The Uniforms...
    by (#219440) on 5/10/09 @8:50PM
UVA looks cool.

I would prefer without, but that it is just my prediction.

Anyone else agree???

Wink!

UVA
    by (#221075) on 5/10/09 @10:49PM
its good to see uva back on top of their game. if they can only find a way to beat duke.

Well...
    by (#65280) on 5/11/09 @12:32PM
I think they look ok, but not good or cool. The Unies are aright, but really... who cares!

Nap...If you are saying that you dont want to see UVA in Boston then I agree with you in full! But I think we will see them there for sure.

I will tell you one team I dont want in Boston. SU! I hate those damn fans! if you have ever tail gated at the games where SU fans are there you know and will agree with me.

Ayyyyy... got a new hair cut... Yeager bombs! Ayyyyy!

I digress.

I Would Love To See The Championships...
    by (#219440) on 5/12/09 @3:55PM
Right here in Annapolis at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. I think the venue clearly beats out Boston and just barely puts Ravens stadium at a close third. My second choice would be split between Annapolis High or St. Mary's varsity fields.

Haha Yes I know What You Are Saying...
    by (#219440) on 5/11/09 @2:24PM
We have quite a bit of those Tony Stromboli characters running around here in Annapolis. That's what makes this place so great!!!

Unfortunately there will probably be no "Jager Bombs" at the game but I will be sure to have on plenty of bronzer on with a ridiculous amount of product in my dew top bro.

Haha Yes I know What You Are Saying...
    by (#219440) on 5/11/09 @2:24PM

yeah... those SOB's in boston
    by (#65280) on 5/11/09 @3:45PM
Your right there will be no J-Bombs in Foxboro again this year... heads up to anyone going up this year... dont bring kegs! Apparently they are not allowed in the parking lot of Gillette. We learned that the hard way and got 5 confiscated by the cops last year. The parking people and security people up there have a problem with fans having fun. dont plan to have fun if you going up this year. God damn... the games in Boston suck! Cant wait till next year when they are back to where they should be. in B-more hun! where the people there could give an F what your doing, and the there is actually something to do around the stadium after the games are over. Geee... game 2 on sat is over what am i going to do in Foxboro??? Lets see whats happening at Wal-Mart. (seeing my hate for the games in Boston?) But I will be back again this year... ill go but I dont have to like it.

Boston
    by (#130269) on 5/12/09 @8:43AM
My bro went there and almost got arrested for under aged drinking... he was 22 and showed the cop his ID and since he is 6'1'' now and not 6' like his license say the cop said it was fake. I hate Boston. I'm from Philly so having the games in Philly was awesome. But i can't argue with Baltimore. But Boston again?! Boston gets everything, let us have our lacrosse.

City of Love
    by (#65280) on 5/12/09 @11:26AM
I am with you... they were a ton of fun in Phily to! 1st reason why... the parking lot. It was soooo open because of the stadiums there and that made tail gating so much fun. You could be at the end of one lot, and still walk to the link in like 5 min. 2nd the parties there were great. 2 minutes from downtown. and after the games we went over and watched a ball game. my only complaint was that we stayed in the wrong part of town and had hookers in our hotel room, but i guess when you sit back and think about it... that was not so bad. But BOSTON?!!!! F-ing sucks up there. i would rather go anywhere for the games but there. thank god this is the last year up there.

Looking Forward To Baltimore Next Season?
    by (#136419) on 5/12/09 @12:32PM
There is plenty of room for great tailgating outside M&T Bank Stadium.

For sure!
    by (#65280) on 5/12/09 @1:04PM
nothing like the games in B-More! I have been looking forward to them there for 2 years now. Nothing like sitting under 95 or the staples parking lot, and walking 2 minutes into the games! I have to think many people agree with me. So let me ask this now... votes for where the games should be... or better yet give me a yay or nay for boston. and what is it going to do if the games move one year to Denver?

Not go...
    by (#154332) on 5/12/09 @4:50PM
Either Philly or Baltimore.

there has been talk about CO
    by (#65280) on 5/12/09 @5:05PM
I agree... Philly or Baltimore. They were fun at Rutgers, but they are just too big now for that. they would be ok in Annop, but how many people can fit in there? 15K? The attendence is already toping that now. it is only growing and you would need some sort of professional venue for it because soon it will fill M&T or what ever they are calling it these days... that or the Link. But there has been talk about Denver, and again ill go... but i dont have to like it. If they went to Denver the would lose a lot of the fan base, and they would regret even thinking about it. so i agree with PA... keep it in phily or B-more.

How About Soldier Field In Chicago
    by (#136419) on 5/13/09 @12:35PM
Lax is getting bigger in Chicago, and, when it is not the cold time of the year, there is no better city to visit.

I'm cool with it going to the west for a year.
    by (#130269) on 5/15/09 @11:09AM
I'm fine with it going out west for 1 year... but then bring it back home to Philly and Baltimore. Just keep it the hell away from Boston!

Parking
    by (#210743) on 5/12/09 @8:52PM
What do u mean there is tons of parking if you ever go to a Phillies or Eagles game there is no parking.

How Bout At Annapolis High...
    by (#219440) on 5/12/09 @8:58PM
The seniors park there no problem. Sometimes I just park there and watch the kids.

oh no no no no
    by (#138145) on 5/12/09 @9:52PM
just think about what you said ..... ANNAPOLIS HIGH. Seriously? The seniors might be able to fit there but there are 50,000 fans at these games, you can't have that much seating there never mind parking. Wow! Seriously, I mean c'mon.

oh my my my
    by (#138145) on 5/12/09 @9:55PM
you are clearly not the real Naptown fan. although he does comment sometimes to excess, at least he says some intelligent things.

Ok Not My Smartest, How Bout......
    by (#219440) on 5/12/09 @10:05PM
Severn River Middle School in Annapolis, they have a beautiful soccer field that if converted right could make for a solid future NCAA Lacrosse Final Four venue.

That, or Rolling Knolls Elementary, although to be honest I really don't think we could fit anymore than half of the people expected to be in attendance.

I Would Love To See The Championships...
    by (#219440) on 5/12/09 @3:57PM

Ain't Gonna Happen, Fake Naptown Fan
    by (#136419) on 5/12/09 @9:23PM
Navy Stadium is too small to hold the Final Four. But it is perfect for the Quarterfinals. In addition, I think they should do the "Faceoff Classic" and/or "Rivalry Weekend" there.

Guys....
    by (#221010) on 5/15/09 @9:26PM
New York City?

Meadowlands is a great idea!
    by (#65280) on 5/18/09 @12:18PM
i know it is not NY, but that would be a great place to have them. now the only problem with that is dealing with those damn jersy shore types... but all the same i would rather them then the slap nuts in boston. i think it would be great there.