Dickinson Beats WAC For First Time Ever

Dickinson Beats WAC For First Time Ever

Dickinson Beats WAC For First Time Ever

Dickinson Beats WAC For First Time Ever

CARLISLE, PA -- Eleventh-ranked host Dickinson College scored five unanswered goals to open the fourth quarter en route to a 9-7 Centennial Conference men's lacrosse victory over fifth-ranked Washington College this afternoon in Carlisle, PA. The Red Devils, who beat the Shoremen for the first time ever in the 17th all-time meeting between the two schools, improved to 6-1 overall and 1-0 in conference play with the win, while the Shoremen fell to 7-1 and 1-1 with the loss.

Drew Peace gave Dickinson a 1-0 lead just 1:20 into the contest off an assist from Brian Read. Ed Lawless pushed the lead to 2-0 with a goal with 4:28 to play in the first quarter, but Washington sophomore attackman Chris Read (Baltimore, MD/Boys Latin) got the Shoremen on the board with a goal off an assist from freshman attackman Jimmy Kielek (Baltimore, MD/Archbishop Curley) with 1:12 left in the period. Chris Read evened the score at 2-2 with an extra-man goal with 13:50 left in the second quarter. Ed Boyd answered for Dickinson with a goal off an assist from Phil Caputo 59 seconds later. Neither team would score again in the first half as the Red Devils took a 4-2 lead into the intermission.

Derek Still pushed the Dickinson lead to 5-2 with a goal off an assist from Brian Read 35 seconds into the third quarter, but the Shoremen then ran off four straight goals to take a 6-5 lead. Senior attackman Sam Lane (Fairfield, CT/Fairfield) opened the Washington spurt with an extra-man goal off a feed from Kielek with 13:22 left in the period, freshman midfielder Thayer Damm (Huntington Valley, PA/LaSalle) followed with a goal off an assist from junior attackman Kevin Nolan (Clark, NJ/A.L. Johnson) with 10:20 on the clock, and junior midfielder Andrew Ostrusky (Severna Park, MD/Severna Park/Bridgton, ME) completed the run with two goals with 6:47 and 4:46 left to play in third quarter, respectively. Lane assisted on Ostrusky's second goal.

Brian Read opened Dickinson's fourth-quarter run by scoring three straight goals. He scored off an assist from Boyd with 13:36 left in the game, scored an unassisted goal 28 seconds later, and then scored off a Flynn Burch assist with 7:30 on the clock. Lawless then scored with 6:19 left before Brian Read finished off the five goal spurt with a tally with 2:33 to go which pushed the Dickinson lead to 9-6. Washington senior midfielder Ryan Morrison (Manhasset, NY/Manhasset/Salisbury School, CT) pulled the Shoremen to within two goals with a goal off an assist from sophomore midfielder Andrew Generazio (Springfield, VA/West Springfield/Bridgton, ME) with 1:04 on the clock, but Dickinson held on for the win.

Brian Read led Dickinson with four goals and two assists, while Lawless tallied two goals for the Red Devils and Boyd finished with a goal and an assist. Ostrusky and Chris Read each scored two goals for the Shoremen, while Lane tallied a goal and an assist.

Kevin Riley made nine saves for Dickinson, while senior goalie Kevin Thibadeau (Cheshire, CT/Avon Old Farms) made 11 saves for the Shoremen.

Washington held slight advantages in shots (29-27) and ground balls (22-20). Each team won 10 face-offs in the game.

The Shoremen return to action Friday with a 7:00 p.m. Centennial Conference home game against Ursinus.

Post A Comment To This Story >

Go Big Dick-ison!
    by (#5589) on 3/25/06 @7:08PM
Way to go fellas. Way-to-go. It's a long bus ride to Chestertown.
Reply to this

    by (#52117) on 3/29/06 @10:42AM
Dickinson has been steadily improving for years. It is great to finally see Dickinson get some recognition for putting together a strong program. Coach Webster and Dickinsonís student athletes deserve some credit for pulling off a big win against a traditional powerhouse.
Reply to this