St John's Knocks Off Georgetown 10-9

St John's Knocks Off Georgetown 10-9

St John's Knocks Off Georgetown 10-9

St John's Knocks Off Georgetown 10-9

QUEENS, N.Y. - The Red Storm men's lacrosse team recorded one of its biggest wins in history with a 10-9 upset of the No. 5 Georgetown Hoyas, on Saturday afternoon at DaSilva Memorial Field. The conference win is the third-straight victory for St. John's this season, and marks the first time the Red Storm has defeated the Hoyas in its nine-game series history. It is also the first win over a top-20 opponent since the program's reinstatement in 2005, and the first under third-year head coach Jason Miller.

With the win, St. John's advances to a 3-0 overall record and a 1-0 ECAC slate. Georgetown's loss gives the Hoyas a 1-1 overall record and 0-1 slate in conference action. The last time the Red Storm was off to a 3-0 start was in 1983, the third year of the program. In 1983, St. John's got off to a 5-0 start.

Once again, eight players tallied a point in the contest with senior Drew Schanen leading the way with his second-straight hat trick. Senior Trevor Michaelsen was second in scoring with two goals and one assist. Senior Malcolm Miles had a team and career-high four assists.

Junior Gavin Buckley had an strong outing between the pipes for St. John's with 15 saves, including stopping seven shots in the second period. Buckley's saves and the defensive middies work In clearing the ball helped St. John's maintain control of the game.

Senior Dom DeNapoli went 11-for-21 at the face-off X and picked up a team-high 10 ground balls.

Georgetown took control of the game early on with a key possession off the first face-off. The Red Storm was able to hold off the Hoyas and capitalize on a turnover caused by DeNapoli to change possession and clear the ball out of the defensive zone.

St. John's then went on a four-goal run to shut out Georgetown in the first period. Freshman Carl Iacona got the Red Storm on the board first after he scored on a ground ball pick up deflected off Hoya goaltender Jack Davis' stick save on freshman Harry Kutner's shot at 11:22. The Red Storm scored on two-consecutive man-up opportunities led off by Schanen, who's hard shot at the doorstep found the back of the net after he received a pass from Michaelsen in front of the goal. Michaelsen tallied another man-up point with a goal set up by senior Tom Manes at 2:41. Schanen netted his seventh goal of the season and second of the game dished out by Miles with 26 seconds waning in the opening period. After losing the first face-off, DeNapoli came back strong winning the next four.

In the second stanza, Georgetown rallied back with three-straight goals led by junior Ricky Mirabito, who was the Hoyas point-leader with five goals. A stick penalty on DeNapoli left St. John's a man-down for three minutes, but Mirabito's goal at 13:42 cleaned the slate. In DeNapoli's absence, sophomore Eric Schmit took the draw off the goal and won the face-off resulting in a key possession for St. John's. Red Storm sophomore Terence Leach scored to stop the Georgetown momentum at 7:09. Leach's goal was assisted by Miles, his second of the game.

Four minutes later, Miles, scrambling in front of the Hoya goal, found Michaelsen on the outside who netted his second goal of the game and third of the season with 3:04 left in the half, giving St. John's a 6-3 advantage. Leach scored once again, over ECAC Defensive Player of the Week, Barney Ehrmann, at 1:38 to give the Red Storm a four-goal lead going into the halftime break.

The third period was quiet, as Georgetown and St. John's traded unassisted goals by Mirabito, at 12:08, and Schanen, at 7:49. Buckley's stick-save at 11:15 kept the Hoya's from gaining momentum as he stopped a shot by Georgetown's Ryan Shuler. After a shuffle resulting in turnovers from both sides, Buckley was once again huge between the pipes as he blanked Craig Dowd's attempt at 10:06.

The Hoyas started the final period with goals from Andrew Brancaccio and Mirabito. Kutner broke the rally as he netted his third goal of the game to give St. John's the 9-6 lead.

Mirabito scored his fourth goal of the game at 3:38 to tighten the score to 9-7. The Red Storm lost the subsequent face-off to give Georgetown possession of the ball. But a huge turnover caused by DeNapoli and a ground ball pick up by sophomore long pole Mike Sherry gave St. John's the momentum it needed to score at least one more goal. Sherry passed off to junior Nick Messinger who muscled the ball past the midfield line and handed it off to DeNapoli. DeNapoli shot the ball as it went wide behind the Hoya net. Gaining possession behind the goal, junior Garrett Mitchell came around the net and surprised Davis with his well-time shot. Mitchell's goal gave St. John's the three-goal cushion it needed with just over two minutes remaining.

Georgetown netted two more in the final two minutes but the Red Storm defense and midfield fought hard to earn their first conference win of the season. DeNapoli lost the face-off with 1:45 left to play and after a short scramble, Sherry once again came through in the clutch to pick up the ground ball and clear it as St. John's called time out with 1:03 remaining. After Georgetown's ninth and final goal with 31 seconds left, DeNapoli won the face-off with a key ground ball pick up by Messinger to keep the ball with St. John's as the final seconds clicked off the game clock.

St. John's went 2-for-7 on man-up opportunities, while Georgetown went 2-for-4. The Red Storm led the Hoyas in ground balls 32-27, shots 42-39, and clears.

St. John's completes its three-game homestand in a non-conference matchup against the Drexel Dragons on Saturday, March 7. The Dragons have a 4-0 advantage in the all-time series, with three of the four games on their home turf. Face-off is slated for 1 p.m., live stats and video will be available on

Post A Comment To This Story >

    by (#200963) on 2/28/09 @11:08PM
I had goosebumps watching the game today. Georgetown just never seemed invested in the action until the fourth quarter, but the Storm pounded the net the entire time. Gavin Buckley was absolutely phenomenal between the pipes, I couldn't believe some of the stops he made.

Its nice to see that after four seasons of abysmal play (a necessary aspect of building up a reinstated program), the Johnnies are finally ready to hang with the elite lacrosse squads going into Big East play next year.
Reply to this

Hold up..........
    by (#38132) on 3/01/09 @9:05AM
Before u start giving too much credit, take the following into account:

1. Anyone can beat anyone on any given day. Yes, this is a HUGE win for them, but they've also played the likes of Quinnipiac and Holy Cross up 'til now. They still have some tough games left including Loyola, Notre Dame and Duke; if they can take (2) out of those (3), then you can start.

2. This was a trap game for G'town; big win over Twerps last week and 'cuse coming up. I guaruntee that they overlooked the Johnnies and didn't play hard enuff 'til it was too late.

Again, props to the Johnnies b/c I always root for the underdog, but wait until they consistently beat top programs before saying theyr'e ready for anything.
Reply to this